When to remove Dynastes sp. from pupal chamber?

Stormsky

I've put my hercules beetle in a foam pupal chamber to monitor him better and he just emerged Wednesday. I know they then go through an inactive period of  ~2-3 weeks until they come out to find food, so now I am wondering when it is safe to move him out of the cell and into his adult enclosure.

Is he safe to move now that his elytra are dark or should I wait until he is active and starts trying to dig his way out?

D. hercules is not a picky, sensitive species, so lightly handling them right next day shouldn't be a problem. However, it is always better to let it be for couple extra days to a week until you re-house them in a clean substrate, sphagnum moss, or others.

12 hours ago, Ratmosphere said:

Wait a few more days and then you can re-house him. Just make sure he's not flipped on his back.

4 hours ago, JKim said:

D. hercules is not a picky, sensitive species, so lightly handling them right next day shouldn't be a problem. However, it is always better to let it be for couple extra days to a week until you re-house them in a clean substrate, sphagnum moss, or others.

Thanks, this is about what I was expecting but wanted to be sure. I'm probably going to move him within the next day or two because he does keep flipping on his back and I am starting to see white spots forming on the foam which can't be good.

One more question regarding the rehouse: What size enclosure should I put him in? He's a little guy at ~7cm and I was thinking of putting him in the container I kept him in as a larva which is a ~18cm cube. Is this good enough or should I go bigger?

22 hours ago, Stormsky said:

Thanks, this is about what I was expecting but wanted to be sure. I'm probably going to move him within the next day or two because he does keep flipping on his back and I am starting to see white spots forming on the foam which can't be good.

One more question regarding the rehouse: What size enclosure should I put him in? He's a little guy at ~7cm and I was thinking of putting him in the container I kept him in as a larva which is a ~18cm cube. Is this good enough or should I go bigger?

1. keep flipping on his back
Let him be. He is trying to dry his underside abdomen. He will eventually flip himself up the right way. This is very normal for beetle species to do after the full molting process for couple days. If you kept it in wet floral foam or its natural pupal cell, it should be okay, and will turn it over on its own.

2. white spots forming on the foam
It shouldn't be much of a problem. Just scratch it off, and make it better in airflow.

3. Is this good enough or should I go bigger?
Not a problem. 18cm cube container is big enough.