Fermenting oak pellets

charx53

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is better to keep a lid on the buckets or not?

Two of my batches were producing heat and the others weren't, so I added some warm water and mixed it some and the next day they began producing heat. However, I then put lids on them (thinking it'd help) and the following day none of them seem to produce heat. I'm not sure what is best.. I feel the moisture in the buckets has lowered quite a bit and I should add water but I am not sure as I'm very knew to this. Thanks for any input.

-Charlie

Yes. Similar polypropylene bags (such as those used for sandbags) contain a UV retardant which helps to retain the structural integrity of the bag during prolonged exposure to sunlight. These compounds degrade over time, and in the case of fermenting substrate, can contaminate the end product. The bags I use don't contain such chemicals, meaning they're safe. Hence, I use them for insect culture.

Since they don't contain the chemical compounds necessary to repel high amounts of UV, you'll want to keep them in a shaded area out of direct sunlight so they don't get brittle and fall apart. Putting them outside under a tarp will help you avoid such problems.

• 1 month later...