On importation

AlexW

Importation of most beetles is supposed to be illegal in the US.

I know that despite being exotic A. dichotoma is legal since it is captive bred and no longer imported.

So why do I hear reports of C. metallifer and P. muelleri in America? I have also seen a video of Prionotheca coronata from Peter, which is obviously not exclusively captive bred and is probably shipped from Israel.

Simple - unlicenced imports. Rearing or breeding or shipment of A.dichomata in the US also requires a permit, just because the beetleswere bred inthe US does not make them legal to possess live without a permit.

It's the wild wild west. :ph34r:

But this doesn't just apply to "exotic" beetles. Any of our native "potential" plant pest species of beetles need to have permits to be moving across state lines as well. And by "potential", I mean a beetle that eats any plant product at any life stage.

That sucks. They eat rotten wood, which is somthing only insect rearers use! I wish they would take the time to learn about their life cycle before making laws about them. ?

Orin writes in the book that "P. coronata had survived a freeze that killed all the other animals at a reptile importer company" .

He has also posted a pic of his own: http://beetleforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=116&hl=darkling&do=findComment&comment=446

Apparently officials care little for beetles, since frogs and snakes are more commonly smuggled.

Oh well.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like we just covered all of this last month or so..

The only beetles you are legally able to keep without a permit are ones that: 1. come from your state and 2. were found in your state.

There are some exceptions, but not many - and definitely not for: A. dichotoma, C. metallifer or P. muelleri.