Eleodes acuticauda and subnitens, in their new tanks

jreidsma

Hi everyone :)

Here are my two five gallon tanks, one has Eleodes acuticauda and the other subnitens. I will soon have some goryi and once they become beetles obscurus, laticollis, and spinipes.

Very cool. How does acuticauda differ from subnitens? I'm looking at pictures and they seem very similar. Love the set up and love how happy and hungry the beetles seem!

Now you have me questioning one beetle in my community tank I thought was a subnitens might be an acuticauda. Hrm... I may have to look into this more.

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask for details of the material you used for the main base of the aquarium? Did you put soil first then put sand on top? I love to learn from folks who are successful at keeping the beetles happy.

I have Eleodes subnitens and a few other darkling beetles. They have been super easy to keep and they seem to be easy to breed for the most part. I keep mine on 50% sand and 50% eco-earth coco fiber mixed up together. Eleodes are happy as long as they have food and they look happy too. Always walking around waving their antennas. They are pretty active beetles at all times of day.

I use pretty much the same as Inle, coconutcoir/fiber mixed with sand.

The only bad thing with this substrate is there is nothing for the babies to eat, so I put some carrots every couple inches in the soil.