Stag Beetle?

Inle

Would he eat crickets? I have a few for feeding the scorpion. I don't think I will keep him but I would like to see him eat, might be cool.

I put a cricket in the cage and was all ready to record the ground beetle eating but he wasn't hungry. maybe I will have better luck tomorrow.

I'm going to try a meal worm tomorrow, if that doesn't work I'll let him go like I planned. He grabbed at the cricket and gave it a good gash on its abdomen but the cricket escaped the beetle's pincher.

You have to pre-kill or stun the cricket ;) It sounds mean, but how I do that is I just squish the cricket a little bit with my tweezers. My tiger beetle and my ground beetles wouldn't eat unless I did this for them.

Well this guy got the cricket even though it was alive. He tore it to shreds, there were little bits of cricket all over the cage. It looked like it was an vicious death! I missed it though. I was out of the room. =(

Cool. They look so much like Mouhotia beetles (IMHO the coolest Carabid beetles; distributed in Asia).

It's good to know I have a chance finding them in Louisiana. I've never seen them here, but I've been collecting only the last two years.

Those are pretty cool beetles. This guy was alright to have but bugs that eat bugs aren't really my speed. I prefer the easy salad eating ones. B)