11 replies to this topic

#1 arizonablue

arizonablue

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:06 AM

Not the greatest photo from my phone but I was too excited to get the good photos off of my other camera. This is the first of my C. gloriosa to emerge! I knew it was on its way because the pupal cell was full of dirt, and a few hours later there it was sitting at the top of the container. I've got three more waiting to come up, one of which looks like it might have had an issue with its elytra, and one that may or may not have made it -- it was the first to build a pupal cell but the last to actually pupate, and it hasn't emerged as a beetle yet. 

This little one, though, is perfect as can be. It was trying out its wings when I put it into a new container. :)

Attached File  IMG_7591.JPG   88.8KB   1 downloads

#2 Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere

Stag Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:Skateboarding.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:05 AM

Congrats!

#3 Beetlebee

Beetlebee

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yay!! I have a few of these guys in their larval stages, what kind of substrate and temps did you have them in? Mine don't seem to be growing any.

#4 arizonablue

arizonablue

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yay!! I have a few of these guys in their larval stages, what kind of substrate and temps did you have them in? Mine don't seem to be growing any.

100% hardwood sub from BugsInCyberspace, with a little bit of crushed leaves added. Room temp, although it's been getting hot down here in AZ so my room temp is probably higher than most. They did take AGES to pupate. The larvae sat around in their pupal cells for months, but when they finally got down to business they turned into beetles within a couple of weeks.

#5 charx53

charx53

Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Beetles, roaches, mantids.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Very cool! Congratulations!

#6 Green Bean

Green Bean

L1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Beekeeping, gardening, cooking

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

What a perfect beautiful chrome-green critter! I love its cute little face and mouth parts. Do you know the sex?

#7 arizonablue

arizonablue

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:57 AM

What a perfect beautiful chrome-green critter! I love its cute little face and mouth parts. Do you know the sex?

I haven't the slightest idea! :)

The second one emerged, and it does indeed have screwed up elytra, so once they start mating I should be able to sex that one easily depending on whether its on top or bottom! Aside from not being able to fly (I think, it hasn't tried that I've seen), it seems fine. The other two have eclosed but haven't crawled out of their cells yet.

#8 Eleodes hispilabris

Eleodes hispilabris

L3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Amazon Rainforest, White Sands Monument New Mexico, Yellowstone National park, Wildflowers, Photography, Eleodes Hispilabris (and of course other BEETLES), and art/sketching.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

Nice! Beautiful creature!

"East or west, Rainforest is best...There's no place like The Amazon."--Eleodes hispilabris (P.S. If anyone has an instagram, feel free to add Eleodes_caudiferis, as I just got it...)

#9 OrchidAlchemist

OrchidAlchemist

L2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

Oooh pretty!

#10 Hisserdude

Hisserdude

Stag Beetle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:Keeping inverts, including beetles, (especially darkling beetles). Also gardening, reading, playing monster hunter and minecraft, and watching Doctor Who and MLP:FIM.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

Congrats, it's a beauty! :D

Darklings: Alobates pensylvanica, Coelocnemis californicus, Coelus ciliatus, Eleodes clavicornis, Eleodes hispilabris, Eleodes nigrinus, Embaphion cf. contusum, Embaphion muricatum, Eusattus muricatus, Meracantha contracta, Platydema ellipticum, Tenebrio molitor, Tenebrio obscurus, Tenebrionid sp, Zophobas morio. Ground beetles: Pasimachus sp. "Arizona". Click beetles: 1 Alaus melanops larva, Ampedus sp, Elateridae sp larva, Elaterid sp larvae, Melanotus cf. similis, Melanotus sp, Pyrophorus noctilucus. Also: A bunch of cockroach species, spiders, isopods, and a cat. For a full list of my invertebrates, See my blog! http://invertebratedude.blogspot.com/

#11 Beetlebee

Beetlebee

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Are these from bugsincyberspace? Just curious as one of mine developed with wonky elytra as well. Don't think it has anything to do with Peter, he's incredibly talented with what he does. Was thinking maybe it's genetic. I don't think I'll ever know the answer, but I am curious!

#12 arizonablue

arizonablue

Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yes, they were from BIC. Elytra issues are usually caused by the beetle not being in the correct position when it emerges from the pupa. It lies on its back for too long or rests against something that dents the elytra before it has the opportunity to harden correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users