brand new looking for advice!

hi all,

I am hoping to purchase my first beetle as a beloved pet, and I am looking to just have a single beetle (if that is ethical). I would hope for a reasonably sized beetle so as to not lose it in a standard critter-cage sort of enclosure. 

I’m unsure what type to get, and where to order it from. I am residing in the US, so if anyone has any knowledge of people i can purchase a beetle from and any input on the best beetle for me, i would greatly appreciate. 

Finally, is it true that they just eat from those jelly cups? It just seems far too low maintenance to be true!

On 5/10/2024 at 11:08 PM, digitalrainluvr said:

hi all,

I am hoping to purchase my first beetle as a beloved pet, and I am looking to just have a single beetle (if that is ethical). I would hope for a reasonably sized beetle so as to not lose it in a standard critter-cage sort of enclosure. 

I’m unsure what type to get, and where to order it from. I am residing in the US, so if anyone has any knowledge of people i can purchase a beetle from and any input on the best beetle for me, i would greatly appreciate. 

Finally, is it true that they just eat from those jelly cups? It just seems far too low maintenance to be true!

https://davidsbeetles.com/products/adults-king-stag-beetle-dorcus-hopei

If you are looking for a single adult beetle to keep. This is my personal recommendation. Dorcus Hopei (either subspecies is fine) one of the best options in my opinion. A 60mm feels like a relatively big Beetle to most people. But they are generally very chill. I have not gotten mine to bite me even if I try to get him too. Very hardy, easy to keep, and can live to 2 years with basic care (3-5) years with very good care.

And yes, they can live off of the Beetle jelly. They can also have bananas and apples, but no citrus fruits or watermelons.

https://discord.com/invite/uXG9UrNQ

If you ever have more questions in the future, you can get answers fast here.

^ most people forget that keeping "invasive" species in the states is still illegal so I would advise against that if you are just starting out. 

If you are looking for US natives, I'd suggest Dynastes tityus which is a great starter species. They do not live long, but you could breed them relatively easy. 

And yes, it is true. They do eat from those beetle jelly cups!