Lucanus capreolus

cre0broter

a pic of 2 males fighting (I noticed if you put them right in front of each other they attack!!!):

l.capreolus fight

here are a few pics of a grub i found under a large log, I believe it is lucanus capreolus, can someone confirm please?

pic 1

next to a nickel for size comparison:

pic 2

if you look on the last red spoted segment, you will notice a yellow speck, which also occurs on the other side. i believe i read that that is an ovary and the grub is female, am I right? (I tried to get a better photo but the thing wouldn't stay still)

pic 3

just 1 more picture of it:

pic 4

i was having an issue with that link, will fix it within a few days

tonight i'm gonna blacklight for some adult Lucanus capreolus

and i think capreolus is the only lucanus species in CT

i was having an issue with that link, will fix it within a few days

tonight i'm gonna blacklight for some adult Lucanus capreolus

and i think capreolus is the only lucanus species in CT

Found a female today. :D

As far as I know, L. capreolus is the only species in the Connecticut.

my grub burrowed into soil yesterday, i haven't seen it since, maybe it's gonna pupate

true, i think last night it may have came up and dug into a chunk of the log i found it under

here is the link to the fighting adults:

capreolus fight

also my adult males like to eat strawberry, tonight i might blacklight again for a female

true, i think last night it may have came up and dug into a chunk of the log i found it under

here is the link to the fighting adults:

capreolus fight

also my adult males like to eat strawberry, tonight i might blacklight again for a female

Nice picture! I hope you will find some females soon. :D

last night i blacklighted but only caught 3 males, no females yet, but a major male almost killed a minor male, but i have like 8 males so it isn't a problem, btw how many eggs does 1 female lay?

last night i blacklighted but only caught 3 males, no females yet, but a major male almost killed a minor male, but i have like 8 males so it isn't a problem, btw how many eggs does 1 female lay?

Wow! That's a lot. Make sure to separate them from each other so that they won't kill each other.

Last year, I got 12 eggs from one female but I believe they can lay up to 40 since L. elaphus can lay that many eggs.

well I still have no females, I was blacklighting last night but right as I was attracting some lucanus capreolus a raccoon came out of the woods and drove me away and i just went to bed afterwards, say, do females hide in the same places males do during the day?

just so everyone knows, I now have 2 females and they mated and so I'm waiting on eggs! I'm so happy i finally found some!!!

just so everyone knows, I now have 2 females and they mated and so I'm waiting on eggs! I'm so happy i finally found some!!!

Congratulation!!! I found 5 dead females in one place so I will go for bug hunting in that area.

chipmunks sure make a mess of these beetles!

nice i need to find a male,this year i have only found two small females,i am hoping they were previously bred,and have set them up in a chamber with mushroom logs and some nice rotten mat.(fingers crossed)

still on the lookout for a male to make sure though.

andy

males are easily attracted to light