Identification needed

Ignaz

It would seem that Xyloryctes thestalus only grow to 25-30mm and these look much larger.

Compared to that tub I don't think they look any bigger than Xyloryctes thestalus. It is in Arizona so there really aren't any other choices.

Compared to that tub I don't think they look any bigger than Xyloryctes thestalus. It is in Arizona so there really aren't any other choices.

Well, pretty close it's in St. George Utah. I just thought they looked much larger. I need to remember they are in a childs hands. Now for the next question are they in culture and does anyone have any? They seem pretty amazing to me.

There wasn't any info on the video so I looked at the user and he had other things which said Arizona insects. How did you find out it was Utah? As you say it doesn't matter since the beetles would be the same. That beetle is as common as dirt in the wild but is nearly impossible to rear in captivity. I don't know of anyone other than myself who got eggs and reared larvae and it took me well more than a decade of trying.

There wasn't any info on the video so I looked at the user and he had other things which said Arizona insects. How did you find out it was Utah? As you say it doesn't matter since the beetles would be the same. That beetle is as common as dirt in the wild but is nearly impossible to rear in captivity. I don't know of anyone other than myself who got eggs and reared larvae and it took me well more than a decade of trying.

I just recently read that same information on one of your sites. I was quite disapointed. I will have to hold out for Osmoderma eremicola. As this was what I looking for on youtube. Can anyone help me with these?

• 4 weeks later...

I've kept a colony of Osmoderma for a number of years. Right now is an off time since I only have a few extra L3 but in a month or two I should have quite a few L1. They are pretty easy but like rotten wood rather than leaves. If you're in a hurry I might be able to find some outside.

That is much better for me as I have better luck with rotting wood than I do with leaves.

So far I have failed to get a number of "easy" Cetoniinae to breed under my care.

The last ones I have to fail with are Gymnetis caseyi. I need a really east beetle to breed. I hope this is it.

What kind of problems have you had? I think the normal issues are not keeping the pupal cells correctly and having a hard time getting eggs. A bit of it is getting used to the requirements while some species are certainly more or less difficult.

I seem to have no issue getting larvae to adults but have been unable to produce eggs. I can't see what the problem is. I have raised a number of African flower beetles from L1 through adulthood and had them live for about four months without egg laying even though I saw them coupled for hours. I really want to work with natives more than exotics but they are few and far between.It would seem they are just to plain for most people to keep. I would breed Popillia japonica if someone told me how to do it.

Many of those you mention are very picky on egg laying. Getting eggs from the Gymnetis shouldn't be a problems but keep a bit of larval frass on hand. Osmoderma are a little easier but nowhere near as productive as the caseyi. I think you'd find the japonica more challenging than any of the pet species.

Well, I guess I will have to wait and see with my Gymnetis they should be pupating soon.

As for Japanese beetles I was going to net some on some cannas I have in a pot and then plant grass in the soil of the pot for the larvae to feed on the roots. I just need a good source of grubs.