Lucanus capreolus tips?

Have you picked up adults? or larvae? If the adults has started feeding then you will have to provide either beetle jellies or fruits like bananas and apples every other day or every three days. L. capreolus does not feed a lot, so you may feed very small portion. If larvae, nothing much has to be done, unless you are receiving your larva(e) in a very small container less than 16 oz. L. capreolus can be raised in 16 oz container or larger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 5:14 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

Actually, I need up getting two lucanus elaphus l3 larvae, a confirmed pair. I've red orins books, but I'd like to know if you guys have any tips. Thanks!

They need to overwinter for like 2 years, which I never knew until long afetr reading that book. But maybe it was mentioned and I missed it.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, jake7917 said:

They need to overwinter for like 2 years, which I never knew until long afetr reading that book. But maybe it was mentioned and I missed it.

The breeder I bought them from said they are late l3, so does that mean I have two years to wait until a get adults? Orins book said it would take a few more months.

The website xtraordinarypets.com says that the larvae takes about 9-18 months to become a pupa from l3 and 6-8 more after that to become an adult. Does this mean that if my grubs are late l3, that they will pupate soon? Or do they still have to go through a dormant period?

On 1/12/2023 at 3:03 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

Orins book says that they stay dormant as an adult for something like 2-6 months

It’s the adults that overwinter. From what I’ve heard they need to spend around a year or two in the fridge until they become active and breeding.