New guy from Michigan

Hi,

new guy here to the forums and a new guy to the bug/beetle keeping world as well. Ever since I was a kid, insects always fascinated me, but that interest took a long pause throughout my teens, adolescent and adult life. But now, here I find myself fascinated yet again in my early 40s, lol. My GF and I are always looking outside to see what the back porch light will bring in, but bug keeping/rearing never really entered my mind(I was always catch & release as a kid), until I caught and brought in a lone, weak Grapevine Beetle(hence the screen name) and brought him back to health.

I'd never seen such a large and cool looking beetle in all my time here in the Big Mitten. From then, I began my research and a whole new world was opened! I raised that beetle from the time we took him in: 7/4/22 to 9/24/22 when he sadly passed. I never knew a bug could have so much personality, charm and make such an impact on my life!

After that, Myself and my GF were hooked.

R.I.P. Benny. You opened a whole new world for us!

Hi, Michigan is rather devoid of popularly known large beetles but we do have large species as well (fellow Michigander here), we have Cotalpa, the goldsmith beetle, in hardwood forests, and Lucanus capreolus and placidus. Take more night walks! So many nice stuff. We also have two species of eyed click beetles, Alaus myops and oculatus!  Myops do come to lights, and oculatus are day active! The native beetle hobby is worth supporting, and full of fun stuff!

On 10/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, JunkaiWangisme said:

Hi, Michigan is rather devoid of popularly known large beetles but we do have large species as well (fellow Michigander here), we have Cotalpa, the goldsmith beetle, in hardwood forests, and Lucanus capreolus and placidus. Take more night walks! So many nice stuff. We also have two species of eyed click beetles, Alaus myops and oculatus!  Myops do come to lights, and oculatus are day active! The native beetle hobby is worth supporting, and full of fun stuff!

Yes, 

I haven't seen too many of the larger ones growing up, so it was really eye opening and led me down a new rabbit hole of discovery after finding our Punctata.

I'd absolutely love find a goldsmith in the wild and have done a bit of reading up on them. I always have my eyes open now, lol. Finding a Stag(or a few) would be really cool.

According to insectidentification.org, there are a few of the larger species like the Eastern Hercules and Giant Stag that can be found in Michigan as well? I'm yet to stumble across either, but I'd be ecstatic:

https://www.insectidentification.org/insects-by-type-and-region.php?thisState=Michigan&thisType=Beetle

Next summer, we hope to set up some UV light traps and see what lands. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

On 10/24/2022 at 2:54 AM, Pelidnota Punctata said:

Yes, 

I haven't seen too many of the larger ones growing up, so it was really eye opening and led me down a new rabbit hole of discovery after finding our Punctata.

I'd absolutely love find a goldsmith in the wild and have done a bit of reading up on them. I always have my eyes open now, lol. Finding a Stag(or a few) would be really cool.

According to insectidentification.org, there are a few of the larger species like the Eastern Hercules and Giant Stag that can be found in Michigan as well? I'm yet to stumble across either, but I'd be ecstatic:

https://www.insectidentification.org/insects-by-type-and-region.php?thisState=Michigan&thisType=Beetle

Next summer, we hope to set up some UV light traps and see what lands. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Please stop using that site, half the info is wrong... Refer to. Bugguide.com for range, ID and locality! Highly recommend it!

Lucanus elaphus and tityus have been recorded in MI, but from decades ago. I sincerely doubt you will find any but best of luck! We do have a few native Dynastids, and 6 lucanid species in MI far as I'm aware of. You can find all the info on bugguide tho. 

As for backlighting, there are mutliple threads on setups people use. I will recommend the Huron Manistee National Forest! It is amazing there! You will have better luck finding our native Lucanids by looking in their habitats, however. Placidus is in yards at night, Capreolus in playgrounds, Platycerus visit flowers and can be found in logs, Dorcus are on tree sap, Nicagus are supposed to be on the beach of Lake Huron but I have yet to find them, and Ceruchus are common in red rot logs. If you want the goldsmith beetle, Cotalpa, you will have better luck blacklighting in the UP. You aren't likely to find it in the mitten. There are many beetles in MI way bigger then grapevines, and are rather common, I'm sure you will find some. Grapevine beetles are extremely common in MI if you do want to find more, look in rotten stumps and roots, or set light traps at night.

Best of luck on your search!