First larva! (Just a picture of a jar lol)

HeavyBeetle

This just got delivered less than 5 minutes ago! I am beyond excited. I've wanted to get into beetles for over a decade, and it's finally happening! 😭

Any advice for someone getting a larva in the mail for the first time? Any sort of first aid I should be doing since it was in a box etc., or just leave it alone for a minute? I feel like I want to go digging though the whole jar just to make sure it's ok!

Glad I read Orin McMonigle's book a few times before it got here. My anxiety would probably be absolutely through the roof right now if I didn't 🤣

20220526_145240.jpg

@Ratmosphere Thanks! I dumped it out into a container to check on it, and it's a fat healthy larva indeed! I misted the substrate a little as it wasn't clumping when squeezed, looks right now. The larva happily climbed back into its jar after I put it all back together. Poked a hole in the substrate and it quickly climbed right in! Very cool to watch!

@John7429 I think so? There's a hole in the middle of the lid with a filter over it. Does that sound about right? I bought the starter kit from Insect Brothers, I didn't do the set-up myself.

You may get a plastic container and pour it into it to see if your larva is in a good health. Keep the beetle in a cool, shaded area. Always avoid direct sunlight.
The lid has a hole, and a filter attached. Do not remove it. One hole is sufficient for beetle larvae. Have you not received an instruction paper in the package? Should have been included in the top of the box. If not, contact Insect Brothers at: admin@insectbrothers.com with you order numbers. I forget to include it sometimes...

On 6/2/2022 at 2:08 PM, HeavyBeetle said:

@JKimOh! Are you with insect Bros.? I did get the pamphlet, and I loved the little drawings! The larva is in a cool dark place in humid conditions, the filter is still intact. I dumped it out to check on it a few days ago and it was a beautiful healthy larva!

Glad to hear that :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 3:06 PM, HeavyBeetle said:

This just got delivered less than 5 minutes ago! I am beyond excited. I've wanted to get into beetles for over a decade, and it's finally happening! 😭

Any advice for someone getting a larva in the mail for the first time? Any sort of first aid I should be doing since it was in a box etc., or just leave it alone for a minute? I feel like I want to go digging though the whole jar just to make sure it's ok!

Glad I read Orin McMonigle's book a few times before it got here. My anxiety would probably be absolutely through the roof right now if I didn't 🤣

20220526_145240.jpg

Orin's books are great, enjoy your beetle!