Jump to content

How do Zophobas morio pupate in nature?


Recommended Posts

It seems that Zophobas morio, in culture, are often separated into small containers to get them to pupate individually.  How does this take place in nature?  How does this take place in big feeder insect breeding operations?  I can't see them separating each larvae from thousands of others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, Acro said:

It seems that Zophobas morio, in culture, are often separated into small containers to get them to pupate individually.  How does this take place in nature?  How does this take place in big feeder insect breeding operations?  I can't see them separating each larvae from thousands of others.

Like most darklings they hollow out a chamber under ground. There's no effort involved in placing them in solo cups and waiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Dynastes said:

There's no effort involved in placing them in solo cups and waiting.

For hobbyist raising a few supreworms, sure, hardly any effort.  But for huge feeder breeding farms, how do they do it?  I can't see them separating out thousands of thousands of superworms into solo cups. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 7:59 PM, Acro said:

For hobbyist raising a few supreworms, sure, hardly any effort.  But for huge feeder breeding farms, how do they do it?  I can't see them separating out thousands of thousands of superworms into solo cups. 

That would take a few hours a few times a year, not much of an undertaking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...