Strategus Antaeus

tarm

Orin advises for females to lay eggs fine sand is all that is necessary. Currently I have females housed in flake soil with dead oak leaves on top but they wander on top quite a bit more than my D. Tityus and L. Capreolus females. Should I add sand to the flake soil or move her to completely flake soil? Also, has anyone had any success finding this species in numbers in NJ? What sort of specifics should I look for in an ecosystem; I've heard they prefer open areas such as sandy prairies.

I've collected quite numbers of Strategus antaeus in Louisiana, and often observed them in pine forest with sand. I also have an experience of getting eggs from several pairs, and needed no sand at all. Just substrate only. No special care needed either.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, JKim said:

I've collected quite numbers of Strategus antaeus in Louisiana, and often observed them in pine forest with sand. I also have an experience of getting eggs from several pairs, and needed no sand at all. Just substrate only. No special care needed either.

She doesn't seem to want to dig, maybe the container is too small or she has not yet acclimated; never had this occur before.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, tarm said:

She doesn't seem to want to dig, maybe the container is too small or she has not yet acclimated; never had this occur before.

Really? My S. antaeus LOVE!! to dig underground..