Hello from Massachusetts

Dynastyus

Hello All!

Just found this site today after doing some searches on the internet for beetles. I've developed an interest in beetles the past few years after my wife and I kept some Allomyrina dichotoma in Japan, and was able to transition to the dynastes tityus when I decided to collect beetles here in the US. I'm still primarily a rhino fan, but have been gaining interest in various other beetle species. Still want to get my hands on a d. granti though :P Nice to meet you all.

Orin, hello!

Actually I've only had two pair of Tityus so far (and I got them from you, haha) so I still don't have much experience with them. The first pair lasted 3-4 months, with the female outlasting the male. I think the male wore himself out as everytime the female surfaced he latched onto her. Poor girl had to deal with that every time she ate!

As for the dichotoma, in Japan they didn't even last 60 days. We did buy them at a dept store (and one during a festival as well) but they lasted maybe 2 weeks at most. Must have been at the later stages of thier life cycle. But they are beautiful beetles. I hope beetle collecting in the US picks up, and that they relax the import standards a bit. I definitely prefer beetles to my wife's cats :P

The 60 days on dichotoma is from the day they first molt to adult so if you buy adults you're probably not going to get much more than a month. Wild D. tityus often live a month or two but captive bred usually live six to ten months. Temperature is very important, if kept in the mid 50s most of the time they'll stay healthy as hibernating adults for at least 18 months and then live another six. They can't be hibernated if they've started feeding.

welcome from Connecticut!!!!!!! I like lucanus capreolus

welcome from Connecticut!!!!!!! I like lucanus capreolus

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Texas! I love strategus aloeus

Welcome Dynastyus! There are quite a few beetle collectors in the US, but many of them kill them on the spot. What other US beetles would you be looking for besides the couple you mentioned?

Hey Peter,

I'm mostly interested in Rhinos, but specifically the d. tityus and the d. granti, though I still haven't had a d.granti yet(and I really want one :P )I'm basically interested in the beetles I mentioned in my recent posts, such as the Phileurus truncatus, Cotalpa lanigera, or maybe beetles similar to those. I was looking at your death feigning beetle, and they seem pretty interesting. I might pick up some of those in the future. Don't suppose you have any d. granti available? :D