Hello from France !

Lebenet

Hi !

I'm sorry, I'm French, and my English level is very, very, very bad... Sorry !

So, I'm a French beetle keeper, but also ant and roaches keeper. In the beetles, I keep in the three families, Dynastidae (Oryctes nasicornis and Dynastes hercules lichyi), Cetonidae (Protaetia (Cetonischema) speciosissimaCetonia aurata and few species where I have only males or only females), Lucanidae (Prosopocoilus (Metopodontus) savageiHomoderus gladiator and Lamprima adolphinae) and Tenebrionidae (Akis tuberculata) ; the Lamprima adolphinae are obviously my favorites.

Sorry if this presentation is short... But I have not many thing to said. Sorry !

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! :D Wow, those Akis tuberculata look amazing, wish those were in culture here in the US! 😍 Are they easy to breed? 

Thanks !

Yes, Akis tuberculata are amazing. The first impression about them (I had them only in August, wild-caught), is they lay eggs very easily, and in great number, but the larvae seems to be very cannibalistic, or hard to breed, or are eaten by the adults (several larvae in the substrate a few week ago... But this week, zero larvae, only eggs).

1 hour ago, Lebenet said:

Thanks !

Yes, Akis tuberculata are amazing. The first impression about them (I had them only in August, wild-caught), is they lay eggs very easily, and in great number, but the larvae seems to be very cannibalistic, or hard to breed, or are eaten by the adults (several larvae in the substrate a few week ago... But this week, zero larvae, only eggs).

That's a shame, seems to be a problem with new world AND old world Pimellinae then... 😕 Larvae of most Pimellinae I know of seem to be very hard to rear, and have high die off rates... What is your setup like? Substrate, diet, humidity, etc., hopefully we can find a way to keep your larvae alive until pupation... 

Firstly, I gave them a substrate with flour and many pieces of rotten wood, and a recipient with soil in the case they don't want to lay eggs in the flour. Actually they have principally oviposit in the flour.

But this substrate is probably very bad, so I think I will change this for a setup closer than their natural habitat, with hard and dry rotten wood, and a sandy substrate, to optimize the larvae growing. 

11 hours ago, Lebenet said:

Firstly, I gave them a substrate with flour and many pieces of rotten wood, and a recipient with soil in the case they don't want to lay eggs in the flour. Actually they have principally oviposit in the flour.

But this substrate is probably very bad, so I think I will change this for a setup closer than their natural habitat, with hard and dry rotten wood, and a sandy substrate, to optimize the larvae growing. 

Yeah most desert Tenebs I've kept would not breed at all in a flour substrate, they need a more naturalistic enclosure to breed well. I'd use a mix of sand and coconut fiber, (maybe even a little clay? Depends on the soil type in their native habitat...) and maybe some leaf litter and hope for the best, that should greatly increase larval survival rates. Keep at least one corner of the substrate moist at all times. 

Just now, Lebenet said:

OK, thank for this advices ; I will do this tomorrow !

No problem, happy to help, really hope you can breed them, they are such interesting Tenebs! 😁

• 1 month later...