Phileurus truncatus - Any breeders out there?

Hey guys! 

I was just curious if anyone has raised Phileurus truncatus. They seem interesting because of the long lived adults and predatory lifestyle. 

Cheers,

Spencer

9 hours ago, BeetleShelf said:

Hey guys! 

I was just curious if anyone has raised Phileurus truncatus. They seem interesting because of the long lived adults and predatory lifestyle. 

Cheers,

Spencer

I raised four from L3 and helped raise another three. Unfortunately, I think all 7 are males. 

8 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

I raised four from L3 and helped raise another three. Unfortunately, I think all 7 are males. 

Awesome! That's a bummer that they're all males though. Where did you get them from? I would like to start raising them too I think. 

- Spencer

14 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

How are you sexing them? There are normally more females than males.

3 hours ago, Dynastes said:

How are you sexing them? There are normally more females than males.

They all have large horns. Do you have a picture comparing the two, so I could make sure?

9 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

They all have large horns. Do you have a picture comparing the two, so I could make sure?

That's what I figured since you probably have mostly females just because that is the way this species is. Females can have huge horns, major males have a different horn structure but you can't tell at all with horns on medium to small specimens.

7 hours ago, Dynastes said:

That's what I figured since you probably have mostly females just because that is the way this species is. Females can have huge horns, major males have a different horn structure but you can't tell at all with horns on medium to small specimens.

How do you sex them then? Maybe I do have a chance at breeding them. 

25 minutes ago, Dynastes said:

If you haven't fed them well on live prey for the last couple months it's too late in the year to be able to get them ready. Most likely you won't get eggs from them until next August.

I put a dozen worms in their tank and kept adding more periodically. They also seem to like the brand of cat food I buy for my arthropods. 

I have raised them but I always have difficulty getting eggs from the WC adults. I currently have 6 females and 8 males raised from WC adults I caught last year in Arizona. Egg to adult is very easy with no deaths. However, trying to get eggs from the adults of both the captive bred and WC adults have been difficult for me and hit or miss. I tried the things mentioned by others and books. Live earthworms, pupa, a variety of foods. Wood chips with flake soil, oak leaves, etc.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:16 PM, Garin said:

I have raised them but I always have difficulty getting eggs from the WC adults. I currently have 6 females and 8 males raised from WC adults I caught last year in Arizona. Egg to adult is very easy with no deaths. However, trying to get eggs from the adults of both the captive bred and WC adults have been difficult for me and hit or miss. I tried the things mentioned by others and books. Live earthworms, pupa, a variety of foods. Wood chips with flake soil, oak leaves, etc.

Yeah, I've heard that prompting egg-laying can be difficult. I didn't know that the egg-to-adult process was so easy though. Good to know!