Lucanus placidus Say, 1825 - Male

JKim

2.jpg.6412953c9e46cf9c05aa9ef971038614.jpg

I collected a 30mm male of Lucanus placidus Say, 1825 couple days ago. I found couple females in the past, but this is my first male. It seems they can be found in more areas than any other Lucanus spp in the US, but rarely collected in southern states. I haven't seen much images of captive bred specimens.. Could it be because it is rarely encountered? They are not a difficult species to rear at all. I currently have 10 larvae doing very well, and likely to emerge this summer.

It’s pretty cool that you found one with your name tattooed on its elytra! 😆

just kidding. 

I’m curious: If you hadn’t collected a male previously, where did you get the 10 larvae? Were the females you found gravid? Or did you purchase them online?

4 hours ago, davehuth said:

It’s pretty cool that you found one with your name tattooed on its elytra! 😆

just kidding. 

I’m curious: If you hadn’t collected a male previously, where did you get the 10 larvae? Were the females you found gravid? Or did you purchase them online?

@davehuth Yes, the female I collected last year was already gravid. Of course, there is no way telling whether it is mated female or not, but I just dump her into a setup and found couple eggs / larvae afterward. The reason I set her up was that (1) I collected a specimen in late May (2018) and since this species seems to be out in late April to early May, I assumed it has already mated by the time and (2) the specimen was not in a good condition (some scuffs/scratches entirely), meaning it has been some time since it has emerged. But... this is just "a guess," and proven to be correct that is has mated previously. :)

Those are actually good tips for if I ever find a late season female. Here in NY our Lucanus is capreolus. I've never seen one. Hopefully my inspiration from beetleforum to assemble a light trap will attract some. I'm sure I will be asking the braintrust here for advice if I do :-)