Revenge shall be ours

AlexW

On 5/15/2018 at 4:07 PM, Bugboy3092 said:

We shalt never falter! We shall always persevere! As truthful keepers of the insects, we shall claim the motherland that, by specific right, belongs to the insect!

You sound like an insect protester...lol

Couldn’t agree with you more on that last part! You may have heard of a popular YT channel “brave wilderness/coyote Peterson”, anyways, they’re basic “motto” is to respect animals and insects at a distance, which they repeat regularly. As you can imagine, this is the exact opposite of what we want, as it would seem to impose that the creatures are dangerous, and could cause the audience to question what they’ve heard  and what they’re hearing.

By "last part" , you mean the cascade effects, right?

Yes, I know Brave Wilderness. In bug hobby social circles, the fellow is rather... controversial ;)

I've watched a few of his vids before. Even though he says things such as "be respectful and they won't bother you" and showed a clip of a tarantula hawk's extreme peacefulness after getting himself stung, his sensationalist dialogue does seem to unintentionally cause the side effect of making invertebrates seem evil.

Yep, that’s what I’m talking about.

the problem is, if you don’t use a sensationalist dialogue, it’s much less likely you’ll reach a larger audience, but if you use a sensationalist tone, you run a higher risk of having a cascade effect. Even “be respectful and they won’t bother you” would have it seem that even though they should be appreciated, they’re still dangerous and thus should be separated from our lives, which is almost exactly what we don’t want. We want them to be appreciated, and respected, but embraced and accepted as what they are. Not like I’d want to see dynastes tityus being bought through vending machines, like allomyrina are in japan, but there should be more positive publicity for our insect friends, not in the way of a man being stung and writhing on the ground for ten minutes because of it (if you keep velvet ants, and get stung somewhat often, you would know that it’s not nearly painful enough to make a grown man almost fall to the ground, not to mention the fact that he was using a less painful species (yes some velvet ants are more painful than others)).

6 hours ago, Bugboy3092 said:

... there should be more positive publicity for our insect friends, not in the way of a man being stung and writhing on the ground for ten minutes because of it (if you keep velvet ants, and get stung somewhat often, you would know that it’s not nearly painful enough to make a grown man almost fall to the ground, not to mention the fact that he was using a less painful species (yes some velvet ants are more painful than others))...

I thought there was rather more drama than venom in that episode.

• 1 month later...