Help! Mites on larvae?!?

charx53

I was moving a couple larvae to different containers and noticed small mite like things crawling on them. They're light, white colored. What do I do to get rid of them? Are they harmful or will they kill my larvae?

I'm not sure what caused it or if this is normal? I don't know if they were there when I got them. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

I had eight or so L3 D. tityus larvae that were heavily infested with mites. I placed them in clean dry containers with dry, finely ground leaves for about 5 days and that completely eliminated the mites. I put just enough ground leaves in the containers to cover them by an inch. They did loose a few grams during treatment, but they quickly regained it when placed back into clean substrate.

Smaller larvae might not be able to survive such treatment. I wouldn't try this with L1 tityus or similar sized larvae. A hundred or so mites on a L3 tityus isn't a big concern. Larvae didn't show any signs of distress from the mites so I only treated the ones with the worst infestations.