Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Nathan

  1. Mine are pretty much in sync with the wild ones from the same locale. They are eclosing in their pupal cells from September to October. I wait until each fresh adult is well hardened off, about three weeks before putting them into the cold. I hibernate them in my attic, so when they first go in there the temp is usually around 55F. It gradually cools down in there as the outside temps drop. The lowest it ever gets there is about 36F. You definitely do not want to wait for them to emerge from their pupal cells and then put them in the cold!
  2. I diapause my tityus adults individually in 8 ounce deli containers at 40F. I fill them up within an inch of the top with damp, oak sub. About 50 thumb tack size holes are punched in the lid.
  3. Nice looking male! I dig his side horns!!
  4. I just smooth over the surface of the substrate and watch for disturbance from them. I don't put their furnishings in until they've begun to feed. When I see that they've been crawling around I start putting in food for them. It still might take them a week or so until they start feeding. I usually dig them up at that point and put their heads in the food.
  5. If your tityus are freshly emerged adults they may stay buried for weeks even at room temperature. I overwinter my fresh adults from November until early April. They are kept at 45F - 50F. for the duration of that time. In April they are placed in their breeding enclosures and it takes them at least another month before they begin to surface and feed. Knowing where your stock came from will help you figure out what they'll do. I'm assuming yours are fresh adults as I have lots emerging now too. It is that time of year when the wild ones would be emerging and preparing to hibernate. My stock co
  6. In the last few years that I've been gathering rotted oak I've never once heat treated any of it. I've literally run about 300 gallons of rotted oak through a food processor to grind it up and used it just like that as substrate. So far I've had no problems with pests. Maybe the food processor is killing the pests, I'm not sure. I understand the reasons for heat treating, but I've found it unnecessary and I've saved a lot of time by not doing it. Heat treating may be killing beneficial microbes and other important elements in the wood as well.
  7. After about five months of hibernation they are at the surface and feeding. The males are very vigorous and ready to fight.
  8. Nice one! Now those females will be happy!
  9. The adults in the above photos were captive reared. Their parents came from Prince George county, Maryland.
  10. I received granti ovae at the beginning of November and they've been trickling out ever since. I just had 4 hatch a week ago so don't give up hope!
  11. Some breeders for this coming season.
  12. From what I've read it can take 3 to 4 months. It may take even longer if the temperature is low.
  13. I had eight or so L3 D. tityus larvae that were heavily infested with mites. I placed them in clean dry containers with dry, finely ground leaves for about 5 days and that completely eliminated the mites. I put just enough ground leaves in the containers to cover them by an inch. They did loose a few grams during treatment, but they quickly regained it when placed back into clean substrate. Smaller larvae might not be able to survive such treatment. I wouldn't try this with L1 tityus or similar sized larvae. A hundred or so mites on a L3 tityus isn't a big concern. Larvae didn't show any
  14. Well, I've had 9 females and 4 males eclose to date. Another male and 2 females will be out in the next few days. That leaves about another 12 to eclose. I'm waiting for the elytra to really harden up before I mess around with them. I promise I'll post photos soon!
  15. Thanks! I've had another male come out that's a few millimeters larger! Didn't measure him officially yet as he is still soft. My largest ones have yet to eclose and I can hardly wait!!!
  16. This one eclosed from a 21.6 gram pupa. He measured in at 65 mm. I have two large females out as well. I haven't measured them yet.
  17. I would give your granti diluted Maple syrup for food. I have three tityus females that I collected back at the beginning of July and they feed exclusively on it. They refused peaches, plums, bananas, watermelon and anything else I've offered as long as they have the diluted syrup they won't touch anything else. I've collected around 160 eggs from them and they are still going strong! I've had the same results in the past as well. Good luck.
  18. Oh that's too bad! I had one male pupae that died for some unknown reason. All the others are alive and healthy so far. A few are3 soon to eclose.
  19. Thanks for the positive comments! They are my first reared beetle pupae of any kind!
  • Create New...