Importation Application

I just filled out a level 1 application for the USDA ePermits. The next application is the level 2 which I have to present my photo identification to my local USDA service center. Hopefully after this I can fill out an application to import huge rhino and stag beetles. In my state it is super hard to get a pistol permit to carry but I have one. The laws are really strict and they make it as hard as they can for you to obtain one. After getting that permit, it made me realize that anything is possible. And yes, I know they usually only grant the USDA importation permits to wildlife foundations, zoos, or museums; but one can only try.

Well looking at the application it looks harder than I thought. You must put the name of the supplier, address of the supplier, the exact species you wish to import, etc. Since foreign breeders don't usually put their address on their website this will be tough. Also, I want to import any species that I want. This is gonna be a tough one but we will see!

Good luck! Those permits were not intended for personal use and it's reflected by how difficult it is to apply for them successfully when you're not affiliated with a lab or similar organization. Make sure to read all of the fine print! I'm pretty sure you'll need a separate permits to do different things, like redistributing any imports that require keeping permits, so don't get in trouble doing something you're not supposed to do.

If you manage to get all the proper permits, you will still probably have a hard time importing anything under Scarabaeidae unless they're dung beetles since most of them are lumped together as being potentially destructive plant pests. Lucanidae are known to feed on decaying wood, so you may have an easier time importing those. They will still be denied if they think that the beetles themselves can be vectors for other organisms such as mites, fungi, bacteria, etc.

Don't waste your time. I have already gone through the process. Level 1 and 2. Once you get past that and apply for your specific permit, there are many questions about your facility. The USDA wants the option to randomly come and check your facilities. None of us really have the proper set up. On top of that, once I submitted my application it took months before I heard anything back. When I did here back they were just asking more questions. I answered all the questions and even drew up a diagram of my building floor plan. Took a couple more months to hear back and then they started asking questions I really didn't have the answers to related to micro organisms and other things associated with the travel of the beetles. In my request I only even requested a permit for ONE MALE Megasoma actaeon. No chance of breeding. Since it was taking so long and their additional questions seemed like they were going to continue, plus the fact that I didn't want to have to deal with random inspections, I decided to give up.

All this after I spoke directly to a key USDA agent who told me that he ma grant the permit because he realized there was not real threat from my request..

If you got over these hurdles, the beetles would need to stay in containment at all times, and you wouldn't be able to sell or trade them in the US unless it was with someone else who also has PPQ permits and a containment facility.

It is a LOT of work, but on the other hand - they are trying to keep things like "Japanese Beetles" or the "Indian Walking Stick" from happening...

It is cheaper, easier, and safer for them to restrict everything than it is for them to try to determine whether or not every species someone might apply for as well as whatever might potentially hitchhike on them could be defined as harmful.

They have enough problems with government agencies screwing up and releasing biological control agents that decide to become more problematic than whatever they were trying to target as well as properly permitted labs purposely or accidentally releasing animals.