Mallodon dasystomus, after 2 years!

Acro

Back on July 30, 2014, I got 2 pairs of adult Mallodon dasystomus from one of our amazing members. I witnessed the beetles breeding, they laid eggs and the eggs hatched out as tiny larvae. I raised the larvae through all instars, and a few days ago (April 25, 2016), I discovered one pupa and one beetle! I did not go through the other's substrate/log, because I did not want to disturb them. I was so excited I didn't even think to take photos. But I am thrilled that they have come full circle! I'm now waiting for the pupae to turn into adults, and for the current adults to come to the surface.

I hope things continue to go well. I'd love to get them breeding and go through the cycle again!

Very nice, glad to hear someone is having success with these! Anytime you are able to get pics I'd love to see some! ;)

Thanks HIsserdude,

Two have come to the surface! Pretty sure I've got a female and a male (female surfaced first).

I have photos to post, but I'm having problems with the website. Please see my thread in the "Other Discussion" section.

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool. I would be interested in seeing the set up if you ever got the photo issue cleared up.

What kind of care do these guys require? I just found a male outside my window yesterday and I've got him in a small container with pieces of rotten wood, though it's not very much at all.

Yeah if it's just a male then coconut fiber would work as the substrate, I don't think they eat at all as adults, and he'll probably only last month or two, if not shorter.

If it was a female you'd want tons of rotten wood as the substrate to induce egg laying.