Hello from PA :)

csliv36

Hello all!

I am a total beginner when it comes to keeping beetles although I do have a bit of experience keeping praying mantids. I just bought 3 Blue Death Feigning Beetles from www.bugsincyberspace.com. Peter Clausen is great! He was very helpful.

I adore my new beetles. They're too cute! The smallest of the three keeps crawling into the cholla cactus wood. I keep thinking he's stuck until hours later I see him out of it. It makes me quite nervous since I know he'll probably get a little bit bigger. He's actually in it again right now. Is this something I should worry about since it looks like a tight squeeze? In the picture you can kind of see him in there.

Also, what type of heating lamps would you guys recommend? Actually, is there anything that I should avoid?

Thanks everybody. I'll take any advice! I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Ps I will definitely be improving their enclosure. I just got a little cactus succulent from a local farmers market. They guaranteed that no pesticides were ever used on it. I still am not sure though how I will put it in there, or if it's even a good idea..

vy5mye.jpg

Welcome! :) First off, once a beetle is adult, it does not grow in size, so your beetles will not get any bigger. Your beetle is just utilizing the cholla cactus hide, and will probably be just fine. Also, heating lamps are completely unnecessary and could cause more harm than good. Room temperature is just fine for these guys. As long as the succulent is not spiny and no pesticides were used it should be a nice addition to your tank. I would bury the pot the plant is in in the sand, until it is flush with the sand. Overall your tank looks very nice, hope your beetles live a long time! :)

Welcome! :) First off, once a beetle is adult, it does not grow in size, so your beetles will not get any bigger. Your beetle is just utilizing the cholla cactus hide, and will probably be just fine. Also, heating lamps are completely unnecessary and could cause more harm than good. Room temperature is just fine for these guys. As long as the succulent is not spiny and no pesticides were used it should be a nice addition to your tank. I would bury the pot the plant is in in the sand, until it is flush with the sand. Overall your tank looks very nice, hope your beetles live a long time! :)

Thanks! Unfortunately the plant I bought is pretty spiny. Maybe I shouldn't use it :mellow:

This is it.

2zzlzr5.jpg

Well for other darklings it might be unsafe, but BDFBs have really hard exoskeletons, so I think it might be okay. Gonna be tough getting it in there though, lol! :P