Water Scavenger Beetle

Ratmosphere

I found this dude at work this morning. The crazy thing is that it was found on the pavement! This is the first time I ever saw a water scavenger beetle. It seems that all of the huge and most interesting bugs that I find are in the inner cities. Just the other day I found a dead Calosoma Scrutator there too. That was the first time seeing that species as well.

post-7986-0-73916000-1444860668_thumb.jpg

The only time I've found a scavenger beetle was on my cement driveway with the nearest bodies of water miles away. I have no doubt that many aquatic beetles take flight to search for new bodies of water to reproduce in and perhaps the ones we found had gotten exhausted and needed a little break.

awesome,nice find,but it's a diving beetle most likely dytiscus sp. i keep both sp. easy to keep very hardy,and eat like crazy,the 1 you have will eat any small living thing you put with it,the water scavengers eat mostly dead items,plant material.have fun with that little bugger if ya plan to keep it :D

awesome,nice find,but it's a diving beetle most likely dytiscus sp. i keep both sp. easy to keep very hardy,and eat like crazy,the 1 you have will eat any small living thing you put with it,the water scavengers eat mostly dead items,plant material.have fun with that little bugger if ya plan to keep it :D it could also be cybister aswell(possibliy) oops didn't mean to double post

Just found some water scavenger beetles today, but not the big ones. These guys are half an inch long. :( Still, should be fun keeping them!

ah, sorry that it died :(,they are fun to keep,i have a large male cybister that is super aggressive when food items are introduced into it's tank,hopefully you'll find somemore,water scavengers are cool too,but not aggressive at all the large 1 i have loves frozen bloodworms seems to leave the water plants alone, they are all a blast to keep,have fun with the little guys hisserdude, :)