Phanaeus in Southern Arizona

Garin

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you southern Arizona beetle collectors could possibly give me some assistance on finding any of the Phanaeus species of dung beetles in southern Arizona.

When I was kid, 30 plus years ago, I would collect in Madera Canyon and Pena Blanca and I would occasionally find a Phanaeus Quadridens. I stopped collecting for the last 30 years and just started again a few years ago because my son became interested. Phanaeus was always one of my favorite beetles so when we would travel to southern arizona the last few years we would always look for them. By setting pitfall traps, we were able to catch many Canthon imitator and Canthon indigaceus. We have also observed many Dichotomius colonicus at the black light but no Phanaeus.

I have searched the net for hours and hours I have seen reports about Phanaeus in Rio Rico and other general areas of southern Arizona but no specifics.

The few collectors I do know, they have not any seen any Phanaeus in the last few years. However, they have not flipped cow pies or set pitfall traps. They are usually focused on other insects.

So I was wondering if there are any collectors that have specifically targeted Phanaeus in southern arizona in the last few years and would be willing to share an exact location and tips. I am willing to share anything I catch on my trips to Arizona that you may be interested in like Megasoma Punctulatus, Dynastes Granti, Strategus Aloeus, Chrysinas, etc. or any knowledge that could be helpful for you.

Feel free to Private message me if you more comfortable with sharing information that way.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information. Much appreciated.

Garin

I hear we have P. vindex down here in deep south Texas.

Any interest in those?

Ive seen those in Arizona too. Morenci area

Ive seen those in Arizona too. Morenci area

Thank you Philipee, great information. A friend recently told me that he has collected P. vindex in the Prescott Valley area. So it's interesting that P. vindex is pretty widespread in AZ but not found in southern Arizona, or so it seems that way.