Jump to content

Moldy Substrate


Acro
 Share

Recommended Posts

The substrate has been setup for about a month or 2. I began to worry that it was too humid and removed the glass lid for a day. Then it began to mold. The lid has been replaced and this snow-like mold continues to grow. It is mostly on the surface but there is some visible growth under the surface. Mold has been visible for about 2 weeks. The stag larvae seem fine, as can been seen in the photos.

 

Should I do anything to prevent the mold from growing or is this just a yummy snack for the larvae?

post-4724-0-49057500-1431384613_thumb.jpg

post-4724-0-11321600-1431384625_thumb.jpg

post-4724-0-97545800-1431384632_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most fungi do not produce spores or reproductive structures without airflow, so it's not surprising that opening the container caused it to suddenly produce large amounts of spores. Fungi that rely on air currents to carry their spores will avoid producing spores if they do not experience airflow as it means that particular area is not out in the open where the spores can be dispersed.

 

The larvae will probably be fine, but be aware that if inhaled, large amounts of fungal spores can be a health hazard. If your immune system is impaired, some types of mold can cause mycosis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have a problem with mold every so often. Shade Of Eclipse helped me out too. I would replace the substrate. If this isn't possible, I take off my shirt, wear rubber gloves, and a disposable dust mask. Then, I retrieve a plastic spoon and make my way outside toward the woods. Here is where the layers of mold are scraped off into the woods, while keeping the container a good distance from my body. After the task is complete, I wash the clothing items I wore and then take a shower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shade of Eclipse,

Alright, I'll leave it for the moment. I'm going to keep the lid on, in hopes the fungi will burn itself out. Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to clean the tank outside, but I'm sure I'll be alright as I've dealt with fungi before.

 

Ratmosphere,

Wow, you go all out when dealing with mold! But yeah, some good thoughts on how to prevent contamination.

 

Thanks you two!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you see is the mushroom spawn and it is not well developed yet. If it is in the range of your larvae' diet, than your larvae will have a sort of kinshi. If it is not, then they will just eat around it. Normally there will be no harm from it. If you expose it to some different conditions, like light and air then the spawn (if it is well developed) should produce a fruit body - mushroom, so hopefully you should be able to identify it:))))))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The spawn normally gets quite thick in some places so its colour becomes clear white, gaining some "critical mass". Then the change in conditions, normally more air access and light, triggers production of the fruit body. However, some smaller mushrooms may not need such mass, so I could be wrong. I judge it based on my kinshi growing experience:). It is not excluded that some slime mold could produce similar mass, but it normally does not go much underground. Anything from the oyster family or other edible mushrooms should be fine for lucanus spp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...