Howdy from Deep South Texas!

Chuck4th

Howdy From the tip o Texas

I'm Chuck and I rent to vacationers on South Padre Island. My son(6) and I are getting into beetles together, starting with a superworm colony. He's into lizards too, so we were looking for a good feeder species.

I really enjoy being out in nature, so we plan to go on a few bug hunts soon. Are there any species of interest that are native to our area? I hear we have some pretty cool dung beetles around here.

How about recommendations for easy to keep species? Something a kid can keep up with easily?

Thanks a bunch!

Chuck Hofmeister

We Rent South Padre dot com

Welcome! You should have lots of darkling beetles in TX, which are very easy to keep and most are not too difficult to breed. Just give them some coconut fiber as a substrate, keep them dry with a moist corner, give them lots of ventilation, and feed them dog food fruits and veggies. They can live a few years as adults, and they really are one of the best pet beetle types out there! :)

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Hisserdude, darklings are definitely the easiest group to keep. They're just about indestructible. You get a good variety of darklings, dung beetles, and tiger beetles in Texas. There are some great buprestids down there too.