Specimen Value

As we all know, some beetles go through life and get scratches along with wear and tear on their hard shells. An example of this would be the tan, fuzzy Megasoma species. They can start off all tan and by the end of their life cycle, they could have worn down their shell to the black part in some parts. I do not have this species but I have a similar situation in which this happened. This was due to the beetle lifting heavy logs and its shell was grinding against the tank causing some scratches. I know missing tarsal claws and legs can decrease the value. Would my scenario decrease the value of the specimen?

It's all subjective.

It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Some collectors will see those imperfections on the elytra as undesirable while others won't care. It all just depends on standards. Often times collectors won't put a pin through a beetle because it can decrease value. That doesn't mean that it decreases value for everyone though.