Click City

Found a fallen tree with loose bark and began peeling...uncovering click beetles at every turn.

attachicon.gifIMG_1516.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1517.jpg

I'm thinking they are of the Genus Melanotus. As for the exact species, it's hard to say for sure since dissection of the male is the only way to be positive. And, as Wizentrop has pointed out, those are not click beetle larvae. Click beetle larva look more like mealworms and are sometimes called "wireworms."

Cheers

The larvae you found are not of click beetles but rather a different family - Cucujidae. Adult cucjidae are gorgeous in my opinion: extremely flat in structure, and metallic bright red in color.

I'm thinking they are of the Genus Melanotus. As for the exact species, it's hard to say for sure since dissection of the male is the only way to be positive. And, as Wizentrop has pointed out, those are not click beetle larvae. Click beetle larva look more like mealworms and are sometimes called "wireworms."

Cheers

Ah ok thanks guys!

The larvae you found are not of click beetles but rather a different family - Cucujidae. Adult cucjidae are gorgeous in my opinion: extremely flat in structure, and metallic bright red in color.

Hmm... Just thinking out loud: What about Dendroides canadensis ?

Cheers

I will have to go over my collection, Possibly my click beetle section is wrong.

That beetle really looks similar to some click beetles.

I would like to point out not all click beetles are round as I recently found out.

Eyed click beetle larvae look similar to the larvae you show just wider and more yellow, not round like normal wireworms.