Dynastes Hercules Larva Sexing

Hypsibius

I'm currently caring for a Dynastes hercules larva, which if I'm correct, the breeder I purchased it from said it was in the L2 stage. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if there's any discernible indication of gender in these larvae at any point? If I can find my camera charger I'll post some photographs of it if that helps at all. Thank you.

It can be used to sex L2 Dynastes larvae. Use a strong light that you can position at different angles to help you find it--it's pretty noticeable if the lighting hits it the right way. Light can also make it appear as though there were no dot, so examine the larva at different angles to be sure.

There was also another thread on that site that someone was keeping records of their D. hercules larvae. One thing that was noticed is that the males weighed more than the females in L3. Try sexing the larvae and record your findings, then weight each of the larvae and see if there is a pattern. Weighing is not the most accurate way to sex them but it would be interesting to see what results you get.