Pasimachus Larva

Markelangelo

I ordered two blue bordered Pasimachusspecies from Peter over at bugs in cyberspace, and one of them ended up laying an egg on July 14, 2013. I was reading in my new book, The ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles (Which I highly recommend to everyone who likes beetles at all, get the hardcover from amazon) and I stumbled upon the Pasimachus section where it said that "eggs and larvae have not been noted in captivity." So I thought I would share :)

post-5154-0-37184700-1380127780_thumb.jpg

Yes I just had them in coco fiber, I'm moving to a sand coco fiber mix though to immitate their natural habitat :)

To feed him I cut a cricket in half and he eats the insides out! It's been the only egg so far, I have two so it's possible I could breed them, if they are the right ones ;)

Maybe the larva will turn into a adult male! Have you put your two adults together? If you have a male, it will definitely mate with her. All my ground beetles seem to be mating all the time! Most of the time males and females ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss. :( My ground beetles seem to like laying eggs in moist paper towel scrunched into a ball or placed in a water bowl. Maybe if you try this for your Pasimachus it might lay more eggs? Again sorry for the loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Larva suddenly died today :( I don't know why, he was happily munching on a mealworm yesterday. He has a sand coco fiber mix that was sufficiently moist. I really would have liked to see him pupate, but maybe someone else will have better luck?

nonono!!!