can i own a extinct species

hardshell

Hmm... I don't know about this. I think that if I found a known to be extinct animal I would tell the authorities.

I can't see a problem with breeding them though. You could be saving a species by doing so.

That's a big responsability, if the beetle dies under your care how would you feel?

Well.. in my opinion one SHOULD try to get eggs... THEN tell the authorities... because authorities in this field often do not know what they are doing! Apparently, in recent times, a new scorpion was discovered... and it was killed and put in a collection... how stupid is that?!?!

Well.. in my opinion one SHOULD try to get eggs... THEN tell the authorities... because authorities in this field often do not know what they are doing! Apparently, in recent times, a new scorpion was discovered... and it was killed and put in a collection... how stupid is that?!?!

People in these fields are all about killing and putting things in collections. :unsure: They need to kill it to study so they can publish papers on it confirming it as a new species.

People in these fields are all about killing and putting things in collections. :unsure: They need to kill it to study so they can publish papers on it confirming it as a new species.

It doesn't have to be that way :o... One can confirm things as a new species while it is alive... especially with something incredibly unique!! :o...

It doesn't have to be that way :o... One can confirm things as a new species while it is alive... especially with something incredibly unique!! :o...

Multiple factors prevent this from happening. :(

For one, it is nearly impossible to look at something alive and crawling with a microscope. Sometimes minute differences mark things as new species.

Also, it will also be hard to get focused shots on it. Underside shots are guaranteed necessary, which is hard to do when the creature is alive.

It also takes many months (sometimes years) to completely confirm something as a new species, because researchers need to check with tons of databases and descriptions. Also, scientists might have to dissect the specimen to study its genitalia (if it's male).

• 1 month later...

i had a dream that i found a big rhino beetle that was knowned to extincted with dinosaurs cool dream :lol: it was called neptune rhino beetle

They all extincted to me ha ha especially the neptune rhino beetle but i just get some holy water and pray hoping it would came back Alive secondly build a time machine and change the law, well if only i know how. ( if you find them they will come field of dream ) but the bad news ( if you show them the government will come ) yap if you find them you can breed them. by the way hell of a dream VERY VERY VERY interesting topic

Multiple factors prevent this from happening. :(

For one, it is nearly impossible to look at something alive and crawling with a microscope. Sometimes minute differences mark things as new species.

Also, it will also be hard to get focused shots on it. Underside shots are guaranteed necessary, which is hard to do when the creature is alive.

It also takes many months (sometimes years) to completely confirm something as a new species, because researchers need to check with tons of databases and descriptions. Also, scientists might have to dissect the specimen to study its genitalia (if it's male).

But what about the lifespan in captivity, it's mating patterns, it's behavior? None of this IMPORTANT scientific data can be recorded if you just kill it instantly. Why not wait for it to die then study it under the microscope? Even if it takes a while... just keep it secret...

How is not studying ANY of it's behavior scientific? What use is that? How can we apply that?

Just my two cents. Errr... ok maybe it's too much loose change nvm ;).

• 3 weeks later...