Some observations to be made

Lucanus

Let's see how this goes.

1118362425_Aw7UFzus_DSCN5334.jpg

1118362425_QUI6kRW9_DSCN5335.jpg

1118362425_PuLMz0Ut_DSCN5337.jpg

1118362425_vW9N5nks_DSCN5338.jpg

I've filled the top layer with the sawdust and bottom layer with the sand so that if the larva still needs to feed on the substrate, it will be able to consume the top layer and if the larva is ready to make pupal cell, it will make the pupal cell in the sand.

Orin mentioned that D. tityus larva compacts the substrates around them without using its body fluids. However, that contradicts my opinion. I personally don't think that the larva can compress the substrates hard enough to make the hard walls of pupal cell. In my opinion, larva will mix its body fluid with the substances around it (quite similar to making concrete) and let it harden, and that is probably why the larva shrink in size when it is buliding the pupal cell.

So...if the larva pupates on the bottom of the container shown above, I will be able to see how the larva makes the pupal cell. Also, I will be able to see the body fluids soaking the sand as the larva makes the pupal cell (if my hypothesis is correct). I wonder how this will turn out.

Thank you :D I was worried that I made some mistake on the setup.

I wouldn't mind if I am wrong since I am only curious about the way how this species constructs its pupal cells. This will be a new information for me :D

Also, I will be able to see the body fluids soaking the sand as the larva makes the pupal cell (if my hypothesis is correct). I wonder how this will turn out.

In order to test your hypothesis you'll have to remove the pupal cell from the substrate and show that it resembles a cetonid cell in function and there is a defined outer cell wall.

If you notice liquid in wet compacted substrate it does not prove your theory (take a handful of wet substrate in your fist and squeeze to compact, the water that comes out isn't your pupal cell forming excretion, you just concentrated the water through compaction).