Newbie seeking advice!

Hi all,

Ive been looking into getting a bug as a pet for a while, but i am really struggling to narrow my options down. 
I’m not too fussy with care needs, but here is my ideal wants:

-No live feeding (no space to breed feeders, but i am ok feeding dead)

-Below 15gal tank 

-Preferably more than 2 year lifespan (no longer than 10 years just due to possible situation instability)

-Able to keep 1-3 rather than a colony

-I don’t mind bites, I wouldn’t be handling them unless necessary. 
-Size doesn’t matter but I would like something on the medium-large end

-Preferably a wide diet, but I don’t mind stocking up on what they’d need (beetle jelly or something). Can’t do most phasmids because of limited branch/leaves access.

-Not easily stressed by noise, I have a parrot, he’s loud! They’d be in different rooms, but a noise-sensitive pet wouldn’t be ideal.

-Would be great if they didn’t fly much, however i can take extra measures to ensure safety if they did get out of the tank.

-Im more experienced with humid environment enclosures, but am willing to learn how to cater for a pet that needs an arid enclosure or a more complex environment. 

Thats about it, feel free to ask any other questions, or suggest ‘non-bug’ pets!

I really like more ‘uncommon’ animals, so something outside of the norm would be really cool, I just struggle to find enough information on care for a lot of the lesser known bugs. 

Big thank you to any and all suggestions! :D

(i’m in australia if that matters, so temperature is a bit wild, but nothing some heat mats & aircons can’t fix)

sorry for the long post! didn’t realise how much i’d typed lol.

On 7/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, Elk said:

Hi all,

Ive been looking into getting a bug as a pet for a while, but i am really struggling to narrow my options down. 
I’m not too fussy with care needs, but here is my ideal wants:

-No live feeding (no space to breed feeders, but i am ok feeding dead)

-Below 15gal tank 

-Preferably more than 2 year lifespan (no longer than 10 years just due to possible situation instability)

-Able to keep 1-3 rather than a colony

-I don’t mind bites, I wouldn’t be handling them unless necessary. 
-Size doesn’t matter but I would like something on the medium-large end

-Preferably a wide diet, but I don’t mind stocking up on what they’d need (beetle jelly or something). Can’t do most phasmids because of limited branch/leaves access.

-Not easily stressed by noise, I have a parrot, he’s loud! They’d be in different rooms, but a noise-sensitive pet wouldn’t be ideal.

-Would be great if they didn’t fly much, however i can take extra measures to ensure safety if they did get out of the tank.

-Im more experienced with humid environment enclosures, but am willing to learn how to cater for a pet that needs an arid enclosure or a more complex environment. 

Thats about it, feel free to ask any other questions, or suggest ‘non-bug’ pets!

I really like more ‘uncommon’ animals, so something outside of the norm would be really cool, I just struggle to find enough information on care for a lot of the lesser known bugs. 

Big thank you to any and all suggestions! :D

(i’m in australia if that matters, so temperature is a bit wild, but nothing some heat mats & aircons can’t fix)

https://jamesbeetlefarm.com/products/dorcus-titanus-castanicolor-dorcus-titanus-castanicolor?variant=48795958542620

Boom

Blue feigning death beetles also sound like they would be good for you, can live up to 8 years, cheap and readily available, need little space or moisture, minimal feeding

• 2 weeks later...

Dorcus Titanus Palawanicus fits almost all of this. (can only have one per enclosure, unless you are breeding)