Hi from Louisiana

So I am relatively new to rearing Coleoptera (aside from my two weeks of having pet Allomyrina dichotoma in Japan). I have 4 Dynastes tityus on there way to my home shortly and am very excited. So any info on rearing/breeding etc would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if anyone is from Louisiana can you tell me why spotting a Dynastes, Lucanidae, or even strategus aloeus (even if I am only talking about three species). The last time I found one was like 10 years ago. Where are some good hunting grounds down here near the Northshore area (if there is any).

You ought to be able to find Dynastes somewhat easily in your state, I'm at the northern edge so it's near impossible. Try white gas station lights after dusk July/August near older wooded areas.

Welcome!

You ought to be able to find Dynastes somewhat easily in your state, I'm at the northern edge so it's near impossible. Try white gas station lights after dusk July/August near older wooded areas.

Welcome!

I most definitely will! thanks for the tip and glad to be here among such good company!!

Hello to another Louisianian~!

I live in Shreveport, the the northern part of Louisiana!

Well, I'm into the coleoptera(mainly, Lucanidae & Scarabeidae), however, I could not collect any specific species that I always wanted to. I saw Lucanus capreolus, Lucanus placidus, Phileurus valgus, Cyclocephala lurida(I think), Euetheola humilis in my area until now.

I have been collecting the Cyclocephala lurida by using blacklight at my backyard. Since they eat grass to grow up. I could easily collecting them by putting my blacklight and white curtain on the grass. For some reason, I could not collect the Euethola humilis with same method, however I collected while I was at the street light. E. humilis are attract to the lights on whenever the sun goes down, and it is dark. That might be the best explanation of the time when they come out. You need forceps(if you want) and flash light. If you are planning to collect a lot of them, might need some containers. Several years ago, I was able to collect around hundreds of E. humilis, but now my area is in a lot of construction and I cannot see much. This year, I have collected around three to four dead, and one or two alive ones.

I collected L. capreolus, L. placidus, and P. valgus like three to four years ago, and haven't seen for a long time...

Did you had Trypoxylus dichotomus when you were in Japan? or right now in America?

I have been breeding them while I was in South Korea, but could not find the breeders in America...

Wow sounds like you are quite versed in rearing Coleoptera! I have to say I am envious of your experience and success :) I hope you will allow me to pick your brain about setups for larvae, feeding, hunting, etc!! I spent two weeks in Japan over a year ago to visit my fiancee while she taught English and I got super excited when I found the Japanese rhino beetles in a flower shop for 10 yen! So for my two weeks there I had pet beetles my fiancee rearing them the rest of the season without any successful mating, but it got me obsessed with Coleoptera :) I wish I could get my hands on that species again someday!! You staying in state for college? I saw you were going to college and was just curious if would still be in Louisiana and what you would be studying. Good luck in your college endeavor all the same.

Yes, I live in Louisiana, but go to Nebraska for the College. But my families are still in Louisiana, so... I guess my HOME IS Louisiana.

Are you Japanese? or just your fiance is? I was curious.. since you don't know well about beetles.. and you said you been Japan for two weeks..lol

I'm majoring in Entomology. Nice to meet you :)

I am of European descent, but I love Asian culture and have traveled to several countries in Asia for short periods of time. My wife is half Japanese descent and European born in California. I would have loved to major in Entomology do to my childhood love for insects namely butterflies and moths. I went to Ghana, Africa for two months to do ecology research in college one of the best experiences in my life! The other was traveling to Hong Kong, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan (twice). I know more about native butterflies and hos tplants then anything else lol. Definitely a pleasure meeting you!

Welcome! I would love to have Allomyrina Dichotoma, but the US laws are to strict. I have some beetles for sale, so PM me if you are interested. Dynastes tityus is a good species!

Thanks good to be here! When I was in Japan I even called the US FDA to see their laws on even just bringing one into the country and yeah just as I thought a big no go lol. I cant wait for the Dynastes tityus I ordered from member here to arrive! Thanks for the offer about more beetles I may check it out in the future money/wife wise pending lol.

" am of European descent, but I love Asian culture" LOL I'm alot like you! I believe the only way to bypass the strict U.S. laws is if the beetle is non-herbivirous. Meaning, You can import non-native dung beetles (which are awesome! :) ) or carnivorous beetles, like ladybugs or tiger beetles. Though I am not entirely sure about that.

" am of European descent, but I love Asian culture" LOL I'm alot like you! I believe the only way to bypass the strict U.S. laws is if the beetle is non-herbivirous. Meaning, You can import non-native dung beetles (which are awesome! :) ) or carnivorous beetles, like ladybugs or tiger beetles. Though I am not entirely sure about that.

Well, that is great! If you find out the specifics def give me a heads up! :)