Sand loving beetle keeping

So, I have a few adults and larvae of a local dune inhabiting species of tenebrionid, Coelus globosus, these are found in coastal dunes under native vegetation and iceplant in substrate that ranges from pure sand to a nearly 50/50 mix of organic matter and sand... My initial setup was two containers, one a mix of sand, peat, decaying wood, and leaf matter the other was pure sand. Neither container had any deaths in the 2 weeks I have had them set up but the mixed substrate definitely appears to be more active and hold moisture better so I sifted out the adults and larvae from the sand and added them to the other group. I have been feeding them rolled oats/pulverized dog food bits/living plant matter just as I do my Eleodes species...

Does anyone have any commentary on my current methods or ideas for more successful keeping/breeding? I cant find any info on the life history of these, and would appreciate any previous experience with similar species. :)

Pictures:

2372314215_41d8032bbf.jpg

2372312155_53563b6189.jpg

Great post and photos! I'd never heard of this species before, so it's really neat to see such a complete account of your experiences with them. So many of the beetles in "the hobby" are exotics, but I definitely prefer an unusual native to any popular captive.

I have no additional suggestions for you since you've seem to hit all the food groups. I tend to mix some oak leaf and wood into the substrate, but I don't know that it is necessary.

Did you collect the larvae or are they captive produced? I found three unfamiliar beetles outside today. I should be a good forum host and post photos, but none of them are pet relevant species. Tenebs are my favorite captive group, btw! How many millimeters are yours?

Did you collect the larvae or are they captive produced?

I collected these by sifting a couple scoopfuls of sand from a couple dunes at a local fragment of dune that is barely hanging on. Good news is that these wont disappear even if the spiders I am worried about do. <_< I dont know of anyone that has raised these in captivity nor did the arachnologist I talked to about the dune ecosystem(he did give the beetle ID though).

...but none of them are pet relevant species.

"Pet relevant" is a matter of opinion and effort. ;)

Tenebs are my favorite captive group, btw! How many millimeters are yours?

Tenebs are a personal favorite as well, such incredible variety!

The adult beetles range between 4 and 10mm, while the wireworms max size is somewhere around 3 cm (30mm).

(I was glad to see the hosting issues from earlier had been worked out as well. :))

• 3 weeks later...

Little update, i added a thin layer of pulverized(yay food processor) oak leaf mold to the top of the sand and the activity has greatly increased with even larvae coming to the surface and feeding! Lots of tunnels are also visible in the sand which is fun to see. :) Hopefully these turn out to be as easy to rear as most tenebs with only the special substrate requirement(I tried some in the same substrate I keep local darklings in and all the larvae died within a week).

• 3 years later...