Strategus aloeus female

Lucanus

Any tips on raising the larvae of this species?

[/quot

They are very easy :) you can raise them like a tityus. Crushed rotten wood crushed hardwood leaves and some compost soil. about 3-5 in a plastic show box at L3 larva to pupate. Some people leave them in there cells but i never have luck keeping there horns strait that way so i make a shallow dish cell on some moist coco mulch and line them up in a 15 by 15 inch plastic shoe box.. I will post some pics in a bit

Females will lay eggs if you bury a handful of crushed old oak leaves in the bottom of the substrate needs to be deep about 5 inches pack the bottom inch and make sure it is very moist. That will save her the trouble haveing to :)

let em know if that helps this is a favorite beetle of mine

Great photos!

Could you please clarify the following sentence/process? I've never had much luck getting eggs from Strategus.

"Females will lay eggs if you bury a handful of crushed old oak leaves in the bottom of the substrate needs to be deep about 5 inches pack the bottom inch and make sure it is very moist."

the 1st picture is of one of my pupa boxes I raised 160 ox beetles last year LOL the 2nd is of one of my cultures 2 males to 8 females :) seems to work great for a 10 gallon. They really enjoy beetle jellies

Thank you for the tips for rasing this species. I will try your technique on 3rd generation of my ox beetle next year. (If I get 3rd generation. lol)

You have impressive collection of ox beetles!!! I wish I can raise that many Ox beetles since this species is my favorite U.S. rhinoceros beetle. (They are probabbly better than U.S. megasomas)

Great photos!

Could you please clarify the following sentence/process? I've never had much luck getting eggs from Strategus.

"Females will lay eggs if you bury a handful of crushed old oak leaves in the bottom of the substrate needs to be deep about 5 inches pack the bottom inch and make sure it is very moist."

I can do that ,this is an older post i did if i need to clear something up let me know :) I would be more than happy to share.

Howdy,

I would 1st recommend Orins book over D tityus keep them like a tityus and you can't go wrong. It is a must have for beetle lovers.

here is a link http://www.angelfire...ytraandantenna/

I have raised so many S aloeus it is crazy I started with 2 males and 8 females and got over 170 grubs I think the neatest thing about them is that cool noise they make when they rattle their elytra sounds like a creaky bed spring.

They will need lots of moisture, It is best to never let them dry out at all. The longer they can stay moist the longer they will live.

The substrate I used was

coco fiber

Powdered leaves " you can crushed dry leaves in a food processor or old blender"

Crushed rotten hard woods "hack berries and oaks is what i used"

Compost mix

Mixed with water so that it is very moist "like a cake but not a mess like and soupy like pudding if that makes since"

"My tip would be to add the water slowly so you don't over do it the 1st time have to start over "ahh how many times i have had to do that"

In a 10 gallon aquarium about 5 inches deeps.

I would prepacked the bottom inch of substrate so the females wouldn't have to work so hard doing that. Your can do that buy putting and inch of substrate in the aquarium and smashing it down with your hand.

You can look under the aquarium for white eggs it is exciting.

I added some whole leaves to the top of the substrate so if someone needed to Right them selves they could.

And if you have some frass from an ox grub add some of it to the top and the females tend to lay more eggs in those spots.

For the S. Antaeus you will need to add sand and grass i got 20 grubs from my pair last year.

take care

Sara

Thank you for the tips for rasing this species. I will try your technique on 3rd generation of my ox beetle next year. (If I get 3rd generation. lol)

You have impressive collection of ox beetles!!! I wish I can raise that many Ox beetles since this species is my favorite U.S. rhinoceros beetle. (They are probabbly better than U.S. megasomas)

Ox beetles are a favorite of mine I have to blame my beetle obsession on them.

Great, Sara, thanks a bunch! I've kept them too dry in the past, it seems.

How long from hatching to pupation?

I just set up a new ox tank last night and I will up load the process and pictures.

I will also up load the grub growth chart from 1st enstar to pupas , but for the most part it takes them 3-4 for the eggs to hatch, 2 months to 2nd, and 3-4 months to 3rd and any where from 3-6 months to pupate after that, most of them pupate at 4-5 months. I have had a few skip a year and took some extra time to pupate... they still made nice beetles so grubs should never be discarded, and it was nice to have a set pupate out of the season :) so i can have them year round. So total time about 8-12 months from egg to beetle they get to 3rd enstar quick.

I just set up a new ox tank last night and I will up load the process and pictures.

I will also up load the grub growth chart from 1st enstar to pupas , but for the most part it takes them 3-4 for the eggs to hatch, 2 months to 2nd, and 3-4 months to 3rd and any where from 3-6 months to pupate after that, most of them pupate at 4-5 months. I have had a few skip a year and took some extra time to pupate... they still made nice beetles so grubs should never be discarded, and it was nice to have a set pupate out of the season :) so i can have them year round. So total time about 8-12 months from egg to beetle they get to 3rd enstar quick.

I will be enterested to see the photos.

My biggest grub is over 30g but I am not sure if this is actually big.