Hello

Obviously new here, Ive been keeping various invertebrates for the past 10 or so years.  I started with tarantulas/scorpions and kept a couple BFDB with my Arizona hairy scorpion and became obsessed with them.  I then moved on to solely keeping insects like ants and various darkling beetle species (mostly Asbolus verrucosus and Eleodes armata) maybe about 5 years ago and haven't looked back!  After keeping darkling beetles and having some success breeding them I've become more interested in keeping other types of beetles so figured I'd join up here!

On 1/30/2024 at 3:52 PM, Dynastes said:

Welcome! Darklings can be rewarding and long-lived but some are hard to breed. Have you tried new types of beetles?

I have had limited success breeding blue feigning death beetles (Asbolus verrucosus) and moderate success with Eleodes armata. I just like them and desert/arid ecosystems a lot so it fits my taste if that makes sense.  I've been looking into other types like stag and rhino beetles but still learning, so I know I'll get something I'll enjoy and be able to successfully keep.  I'm open to suggestions and learning 

I like Eleodes spinipes and one stock is as old as 2006. Also, a good rhino would be Dynastes tityus. Stags are great but North American Lucanus aren't easy past the first generation.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:28 AM, Dynastes said:

I like Eleodes spinipes and one stock is as old as 2006. Also, a good rhino would be Dynastes tityus. Stags are great but North American Lucanus aren't easy past the first generation.

Good to know and I've been looking into Dynastes (the western one) I really like their size and they seem straightforward.  I guess my biggest problem with them is lifespan, I've become spoiled from my darklings I guess