Becoming a beetle freak! ( Calosoma scrutator info please?)

So I have a D. Granti... Two actually, and searching for a stag beetle. Now I want Calosoma scrutator (Fiery searcher beetle I believe is its common name)

So has anyone kept these awesome caterpillar hunters? I found very little details in owning them, are there any books out for (I'm guessing?) Ground beetles? So far I found NOTHING other then they like high humidity, although I found not enough of this statement to truely believe it. I also heard that they cannibalize ONLY if not enough food

Yes indeed they are quite adorable and very common in my area :) They will in fact eat each other so i recommend keeping them separate. Although I have never given them a chance to try it. When breeding them supervise them and separate them if you are going to leave them. Adults will eat crushed crickets and do show interest in citrus slices.

I have some ground grubs right now I will post pictures, the grubs are also predatory very similar behavior to "Scarites subterraneus Fabricius" . They do well on crushed crickets. But love to eat asp moth Caterpillars. ON cannibalization the grubs will each each other with out remorse or regret. Separate them as so as u see them there grubs are alot like Alaus oculatus grubs in that regard very easy to keep one per glass container as they can chew threw any plastic one. Once the female has laid eggs it will take about 3-5 weeks for them to hatch they are TINY and thin like half of a grain of rice. Adding food will reduce cannibalization but separation is the key.

A collection note .... It is common for some ground beetle also have a mildly burning acid substance they secret when they are threatened . This will burn you hands if it is not washed off quickly. When collecting them bring some water to wash it off that instant alcohol based hand sanitizer works well also. Some people don't react to it but I sure do LOL ! I wear glove to pick up all ground beetles.

I keep almost all my bug in high humidity and it seem to do them all quite well . Even my arid bugs enjoy and thrive in better than if kept dry.

Most of my bugs have plants with them I keep the ground beetles with wandering purple hearts "Setcreasea pallida". The plants require little light keep the humidity up.

They love to dig so give them ample space and females will avidly lay eggs if you add frase from a rhino beetle grub or a scarab grub.

hope that helps :)

some pictures of ground beetle grubs i believe Calosoma scrutator, one is of the nice jaws the other is of her half eaten asp Caterpillar.

enjoy :)

blackgrub1.jpg

blackgrub2.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!

I find this species around may in my area. I hope I can find one this year again.

Yes indeed they are quite adorable and very common in my area :) They will in fact eat each other so i recommend keeping them separate. Although I have never given them a chance to try it. When breeding them supervise them and separate them if you are going to leave them. Adults will eat crushed crickets and do show interest in citrus slices.

I have some ground grubs right now I will post pictures, the grubs are also predatory very similar behavior to "Scarites subterraneus Fabricius" . They do well on crushed crickets. But love to eat asp moth Caterpillars. ON cannibalization the grubs will each each other with out remorse or regret. Separate them as so as u see them there grubs are alot like Alaus oculatus grubs in that regard very easy to keep one per glass container as they can chew threw any plastic one. Once the female has laid eggs it will take about 3-5 weeks for them to hatch they are TINY and thin like half of a grain of rice. Adding food will reduce cannibalization but separation is the key.

A collection note .... It is common for some ground beetle also have a mildly burning acid substance they secret when they are threatened . This will burn you hands if it is not washed off quickly. When collecting them bring some water to wash it off that instant alcohol based hand sanitizer works well also. Some people don't react to it but I sure do LOL ! I wear glove to pick up all ground beetles.

I keep almost all my bug in high humidity and it seem to do them all quite well . Even my arid bugs enjoy and thrive in better than if kept dry.

Most of my bugs have plants with them I keep the ground beetles with wandering purple hearts "Setcreasea pallida". The plants require little light keep the humidity up.

They love to dig so give them ample space and females will avidly lay eggs if you add frase from a rhino beetle grub or a scarab grub.

hope that helps :)

Blah, I was hoping they would be able to be communal predators... Like emperor scorpions or... Something, because other then that they seem just awesome. I was going to try and copy their habitats as close as I could, so I was going to add a bunch of climbing sticks, and put moth and caterpillar larvae in those reptile basking hammocks or some kind of bowl with suction cups since they climb trees to hunt in the wild

Awesome if you don,t have a spot already to search for one i have a few tips.

if they are in your area look in trees for the grubs they climb quite well and are easy catch if you see a web worm nest Hyphantria cunea in Texas it almost always has one of these guys in it or not far by. If you have something similar try there!

The grubs are active in daylight "which might be a reason for the neat black coloration" they blend in well to the dark oak bark or pecan trees.

The beetles are a ground dweller and can be found hunting in the street at night! They will sit at the edge of the light and dart in when something hits the concert. They eat just about anything but caterpillars are there favorite. With as flashy as they are they are super easy to spot!

lol hope that helps

Blah, I was hoping they would be able to be communal predators... Like emperor scorpions or... Something, because other then that they seem just awesome. I was going to try and copy their habitats as close as I could, so I was going to add a bunch of climbing sticks, and put moth and caterpillar larvae in those reptile basking hammocks or some kind of bowl with suction cups since they climb trees to hunt in the wild

If they don't eat each other there grubs would defiantly eat the adults. If you do try it keep us updated on your success as I have never left mine together they are quite territory to one another. Sounds like a neat setup.

Emperor scorpions rock, i love mine, i also have a colony of Centruoides vittatus they are quite loving to each other and seem to enjoy each others company "how every they breed like rabbits" Feeding them often is the key with these guys. They have a mild venom but i know people with some wicked allergies to them so be careful if you try them :). I keep mine in a large antique fish bowl with Zebra HARWORTHIA SUCCULENTs something that grows slow and stays small. They will dig awesome burrows neat neat neat. They cannot climb smooth glass but if it has any grip they will get up it.

welcome to the beetle hobby :) it is a fun place to be

if they are in your area look in trees for the grubs they climb quite well and are easy catch if you see a web worm nest Hyphantria cunea in Texas it almost always has one of these guys in it or not far by. If you have something similar try there!

The grubs are active in daylight "which might be a reason for the neat black coloration" they blend in well to the dark oak bark or pecan trees.

The beetles are a ground dweller and can be found hunting in the street at night! They will sit at the edge of the light and dart in when something hits the concert. They eat just about anything but caterpillars are there favorite. With as flashy as they are they are super easy to spot!

lol hope that helps

whahoo! awesome pics,i too keep predatory beetles,tigers,pasimachus,and ofcourse the scrutators,i have about 6 of them in a tengallon tank(deep substrate,lots of hiding places)they are doing great together,only aggressive w/eachother at feeding time,i always give them enough,they squabble over the waxworms/crickets,when the each have 1 they go off to feed in different corners,i'm hoping some will be laying eggs,they are sooo agressive,the'll attack my hand if i put it in there,they climb up and start chewing on my fingers!always on the hunt,yeah their musk is really nasty,i make sure i don't piss them off when i go in there to feed/water. these guys rock!

whahoo! awesome pics,i too keep predatory beetles,tigers,pasimachus,and ofcourse the scrutators,i have about 6 of them in a tengallon tank(deep substrate,lots of hiding places)they are doing great together,only aggressive w/eachother at feeding time,i always give them enough,they squabble over the waxworms/crickets,when the each have 1 they go off to feed in different corners,i'm hoping some will be laying eggs,they are sooo agressive,the'll attack my hand if i put it in there,they climb up and start chewing on my fingers!always on the hunt,yeah their musk is really nasty,i make sure i don't piss them off when i go in there to feed/water. these guys rock!

Whoot thats sounds neat , i never put mine together but if u have success i might try it :) any pictures of your setup ?

thanks forever

lol hope that helps

Ahh, no. I don't even think they can survive where I live, thinking they are mainly found in the warmer states (Texas for example) I live in the freezing Colorado, lol. So I'm going to need to find someone that can capture, or breed them and I'll have to buy them

Whoot thats sounds neat , i never put mine together but if u have success i might try it :) any pictures of your setup ?

thanks forever

ahh.my camera is no more :angry: it broke and i haven't got another 1 yet,hopefully soon,its a basic setup,deep cocobark substrate,shallow waterdish,some moss and cork pieces to hide under,but they are out 24/7 :P

Ahh, no. I don't even think they can survive where I live, thinking they are mainly found in the warmer states (Texas for example) I live in the freezing Colorado, lol. So I'm going to need to find someone that can capture, or breed them and I'll have to buy them

when i lived up in newyork i would find them everywhere,so there is a good chance you can find them where you are,they live in cold/warm states all over.

I've got one of those terrariums where it stands up right and has those front doors to open up, is this a bad idea for these guys, should I get an ordinary terrarium with the only opening from the top?

it should work,as long as they have alot of floor space(they roam alot)definitly more length than height.

fuu... Well I'll need to get a new cage, lol any recommendations for a beetle that will be happy in a 12" x 12" x 18" with substrate no deeper then 4"?

you can still use that cage,maybe 1 or 2 beetles,so there would'nt too much overcrouding,cork slabs for hiding,4"substrate is fine.

I've kept C. scrutator together before with not much trouble (I sell these when I have them too). I usually don't have to crush crickets up but use medium sized ones and they chase them down. They will also eat meal worms - the small species and beetle jelly. They have lots of trouble catching pinhead crickets.

I have a friend who had a C.s. that was from AZ, and he said it was way more aggressive and he couldn't keep it in the same container as the others - which were local and together in the same container with no problems.