Creating a Guide on how to get Beetle Importing Permits (US)

FlamingSwampert

I think we should, as a community, create a guide on how to get the permits required to import beetles. Some people have got them, so the process has been discovered and proven to be possible. We should create a guide so more people can get the permits and bring more species into the US hobby.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, Ratmosphere said:

I'm pretty sure only people who work for museums are able to get approved. Also, a select few keepers in the US get the option. 

I'm not so sure, I've seen people sell larvae of foreign species. It may be very difficult, but I'm sure it's possible for private collectors to get one.

On 1/3/2023 at 4:09 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

I'm not so sure, I've seen people sell larvae of foreign species. It may be very difficult, but I'm sure it's possible for private collectors to get one.

100% none of those people have permits for them... It's nearly impossible for pet hobbyists to get the permits needed to keep exotic beetles, and that's just a fact. However the USDA has been very lax in enforcing the laws regarding keeping exotic scarabs for the last decade, and so for the past few years exotics have been smuggled into the US and are being kept illegally on a an increasingly larger and larger scale. Without more funding it'd be extremely difficult or impossible for the USDA/APHIS to actually do anything about it now, so they seem to be just letting it slide for the time being and focusing on more high concern, agriculture damaging invert groups.

California has a weird legal loophole where you can keep exotic stag beetles legally, and Goliathus are legalized in the US, but that's about it for exotics here. Unless you work at a museum, for a university, etc., you can't get the permits needed to legally keep most exotic beetles.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:41 PM, Hisserdude said:

100% none of those people have permits for them... It's nearly impossible for pet hobbyists to get the permits needed to keep exotic beetles, and that's just a fact. However the USDA has been very lax in enforcing the laws regarding keeping exotic scarabs for the last decade, and so for the past few years exotics have been smuggled into the US and are being kept illegally on a an increasingly larger and larger scale. Without more funding it'd be extremely difficult or impossible for the USDA/APHIS to actually do anything about it now, so they seem to be just letting it slide for the time being and focusing on more high concern, agriculture damaging invert groups.

California has a weird legal loophole where you can keep exotic stag beetles legally, and Goliathus are legalized in the US, but that's about it for exotics here. Unless you work at a museum, for a university, etc., you can't get the permits needed to legally keep most exotic beetles.

Very interesting... thanks for the clarification

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, May Weed said:

Little late replying on this but wouldn't the best option be to try and go the goliathus beetle way and lobby to have rhino, flower and stag beetles legalized also. Most wouldn't pose a significant risk as pests. 

Ideally yes but that would require cooperation from government employees, who likely have more pressing issues to attend to.

But if anyone is going to pursue this route, please keep us posted!