Markings.

kkrose

A few weeks ago we ordered another blue death feigning beetle from BugsinCyberspace and the beetle arrived safe and sound and is doing great. And he has markings I've never seen on a BDFB. At first, seeing a darker streak on his back toward the end of his body, and the black on his face, I thought perhaps it was from a little moisture from the carrot pieces in the container- only for lack of another explanation. But a few days later, in the habitat, the markings were still there. So it's just how this one looks. We are still fairly new to BFDB keeping. We've had three other beetles, one of whom is still with us, and none had these markings, and I haven't seen them on other BDFB in pics online. Anyone know how common this is? It is nice that we can tell them apart so easily. In this photo, one might think it's the moisture from the jelly... but no, he always looks like that. This one also startles a lot more easily- if someone talks near the tank, opens the cover, or approaches too quickly, but so far hasn't death-feigned even once. He just runs and dives for cover. The other one could not care less.

Unfortunately, I can't get a good pic right now of his back, as I prefer to let him eat in peace. And yeah, it's time to wash the dish, it gets beetle jelly stickiness on it and then the substrate sticks to it.

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

This actually is a "wet" marking as you assumed. It usually disappear when they are entirely covered with misting, and then dried out completely. If only one spot is wet and stained, and gets dried out later, the spot won't be same as the other part of their body it seems. I also keep hundreds of BDFBs, and I've seen few numbers of beetles like this near face, and sometimes on elytron.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, JKim said:

This actually is a "wet" marking as you assumed. It usually disappear when they are entirely covered with misting, and then dried out completely. If only one spot is wet and stained, and gets dried out later, the spot won't be same as the other part of their body it seems. I also keep hundreds of BDFBs, and I've seen few numbers of beetles like this near face, and sometimes on elytron.

Thank you! They're such fascinating creatures. I appreciate the info.