cyclommatus metallifer breeding project

Generally this should be done as soon as youre able to sex them, but for beetles that have sexes maturing at different times, keeping the male warmer is a good idea. Females can be kept in a cooler room/ area of room, while males can be kept somewhere a bit warmer, or near a low wattage heating element. You can try keeping the male in a warmer spot, and the female in a slightly cooler spot, not too cold as to not stress her out, and hopefully they will emerge at the same time.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, Northern Kinshi said:

Generally this should be done as soon as youre able to sex them, but for beetles that have sexes maturing at different times, keeping the male warmer is a good idea. Females can be kept in a cooler room/ area of room, while males can be kept somewhere a bit warmer, or near a low wattage heating element. You can try keeping the male in a warmer spot, and the female in a slightly cooler spot, not too cold as to not stress her out, and hopefully they will emerge at the same time.

My male is white and shows no sign of pupation. I made a mistake, what I meant to say was my female is already a adult beetle. She has probably about 5 months left. Could I possibly hibernate her. I keep ants and I’m hibernating them at around 46-48 degrees. Is this to cold

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, Jonathan2608 said:

I don’t think I’ll have enough time. I’m guessing that my larvae will take two months to pupate and another two months to turn into a fully adult beetle.

Hello,

Cyclommatus metallifer ssp females usually live only 3 months. You can try to keep it at 18 degrees Celsius, but I don’t think the male and female will meet each other. If you would have kept the pair as larvae together, the male could have pupated in sync.

Best regards