Beetle Bait?

Large beetles... Let's find out what large beetle you are trying to lure first.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

Does anyone have a recipe for a bait to attract large beetles?

Thanks!

On 6/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, JKim said:

Large beetles... Let's find out what large beetle you are trying to lure first.

Scarabs and stags are all that really live here in NJ, so I would aim for those. Some websites say that the eastern rhino also lives here, but I've never seen one.

@FlamingSwampert Too bad stag beetles and rhinoceros beetles do not have a lure that particularly attracts them over from a distance. You can try place some overripen bananas around the trees if they actually are found in your targeted areas. A small numbers of D. tityus have been recorded at very southern boarder of New Jersey. This means they may not actually have a big population in New Jersey, but more or so, some beetles from adjacent states are flying over to the New Jersey. Or it could very simply be that there aren't any active researchers available out there.

When I found Strategus antaeus for the first time in Louisiana, no one knew this species occurred there. Not even Louisiana State Arthropod Museum (in LSU, Baton Rouge, Louisiana) had a single record of this species from Louisiana. Dr. Ratcliffe included my collection records in his publication as the new state record as well.

Where in Jersey are you located? I'm now in Jersey, and trying to do light trapping here in the NJ. Perhaps we can collect together at a night sometime in this summer?

On 6/12/2022 at 10:04 PM, JKim said:

@FlamingSwampert Too bad stag beetles and rhinoceros beetles do not have a lure that particularly attracts them over from a distance. You can try place some overripen bananas around the trees if they actually are found in your targeted areas. A small numbers of D. tityus have been recorded at very southern boarder of New Jersey. This means they may not actually have a big population in New Jersey, but more or so, some beetles from adjacent states are flying over to the New Jersey. Or it could very simply be that there aren't any active researchers available out there.

When I found Strategus antaeus for the first time in Louisiana, no one knew this species occurred there. Not even Louisiana State Arthropod Museum (in LSU, Baton Rouge, Louisiana) had a single record of this species from Louisiana. Dr. Ratcliffe included my collection records in his publication as the new state record as well.

Where in Jersey are you located? I'm now in Jersey, and trying to do light trapping here in the NJ. Perhaps we can collect together at a night sometime in this summer?

I'm in central Jersey, so I guess no tityus for me...

My strict schedule forces me to only be able to collect beetles via the bait method, or else I would take you up on that offer. I'll try the banana tonight, and I'll see how it goes! :)