My new orchid and ghost mantises!

Wolfman

First time owning mantises as pets, both just came in the mail today. I’m so excited to raise them, they are so small! I’d love any good tips or fun facts about them if anyone would like to share! Pictures are of my one ghost and one orchid mantises!

878D67EA-E74C-483A-86E8-A7206142AD8A.jpeg

Loveeeeee keeping ghosts. I use D. hydei fruit flies when they are this small. 

In a few molts when they start gaining size I switch to blue bottle flies. They thrive on this diet.

You can buy pupa and food for the flies online. They hatch quickly but are tricky to get out individually. For this, I throw the container in the freezer until the flies deactivate. Then I will pick the amount I need and put them in the mantis habitat. After a few minutes in the warmth the flies will reactivate. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ratmosphere said:

Loveeeeee keeping ghosts. I use D. hydei fruit flies when they are this small. 

In a few molts when they start gaining size I switch to blue bottle flies. They thrive on this diet.

You can buy pupa and food for the flies online. They hatch quickly but are tricky to get out individually. For this, I throw the container in the freezer until the flies deactivate. Then I will pick the amount I need and put them in the mantis habitat. After a few minutes in the warmth the flies will reactivate. 

Very smart and with the freezer trick. Never thought of this I also use the flies but find it can be tricky to get just a couple so definitely trying this! I love my ghost and watching him away like it’s windy so cool.