SoCal beetles

dorcus

There aren't many "impressive" members of either family represented here in SoCal, aside from Megasoma sleeperi for dynastines and possibly Strategus aloeus. A brief search on iNaturalist turns up these species reported in California broadly for the Dynastinae and Lucanidaethough BugGuide and other more tightly-curated resources will have more information (their advanced search being particularly helpful).

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Well in terms of other invertebrate fauna I consider California to be one of the most unique places to hunt as there are a lot of really interesting species to be found; it is a biodiversity hotspot after all. Even in terms of beetles the tenebrionid diversity to be had here is quite incredible; Asbolus, Philolithus, Stenomorpha, Eleodes, Coelocnemis, Schizillus, Cryptoglossa, Edrotes, Triorophus, Eusattus, etc.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, dorcus said:

That’s exciting. I am trying to go collecting tonight. Let’s hope I find some cool insects! I will post updates

any luck?