Dynastes tityus pair collected inside a tree cavity

Lucanus

why are they in plastic bags? how can you find them at this time of the year?

why are they in plastic bags? how can you find them at this time of the year?

Plastic bags are very useful for collecting insects so I use them to catch insects. Dynasties tityus can be found as adults if you search inside a tree cavity. Adults are usually hibernating in winter.

cool! do you think I could find them in connecticut?

I like Lucanus capreolus. I may go out today to search, even though there's about 24 inches of snow on the ground, good workout! first I should work on my language arts project that's due wednesday and I didn't even start(don't worry, not like I needed to read a huge fiction book or anything, and once I get started, I'll finish quick)

I like Lucanus capreolus. I may go out today to search, even though there's about 24 inches of snow on the ground, good workout! first I should work on my language arts project that's due wednesday and I didn't even start(don't worry, not like I needed to read a huge fiction book or anything, and once I get started, I'll finish quick)

24 inches of snow? That is alot! Here in Alabama, it doesn't snow often. I hope you have a good luck.

you pm'd me about not taking them out of the pupal cells when I find them, but then how do I know if I've found any?

you pm'd me about not taking them out of the pupal cells when I find them, but then how do I know if I've found any?

You can take them out but it is not recommanded. If you take them out of pupal cell, you need to make an artificial pupal cell.

i should also go on a hunt(although being outside chicago we have too much snow and -11 temps today)but will wait for a warm week.in the summer we see quite a few capreolus,and a few other unidentified large beetles(i have just started to concentrate on beetles and am now very interested in catching and identifying what it is i have found in the past few years.they are the size of capreolus,although from the antenna they appear more like the antenna of my dynastes)good luck with your hunt.in the past while hunting for rotten wood for my roaches i stumbled upon many good sized pupal cells(although i didnt know at the time that is what they were,u will know when you see them,they differ from the surrounding rotten wood ,and stand out like a sore thumb)

andy

i should also go on a hunt(although being outside chicago we have too much snow and -11 temps today)but will wait for a warm week.in the summer we see quite a few capreolus,and a few other unidentified large beetles(i have just started to concentrate on beetles and am now very interested in catching and identifying what it is i have found in the past few years.they are the size of capreolus,although from the antenna they appear more like the antenna of my dynastes)good luck with your hunt.in the past while hunting for rotten wood for my roaches i stumbled upon many good sized pupal cells(although i didnt know at the time that is what they were,u will know when you see them,they differ from the surrounding rotten wood ,and stand out like a sore thumb)

andy

I heard that Lucanus capreolus are very common in upper states. Good luck on finding beetles in your area!!!

I've not seen any pupal cells in the wild so I wonder what they would look like.