How long to wait?

cre0broter

How long do you wait?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When does the ground thaw in your area?

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • June
    • July
    • Ground doesn't freeze
    • Ground doesn't thaw
  2. 2. When do you start seeing insects again?

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May
    • June
    • July
    • Insects active year round
    • Little/No insect activity where I live

so a few people have been discussing how they can't wait for spring's return and so I have to ask the question, how bad is winter? when do you get warm spring weather and begin to see plants growing,and increase in insect activity, all those things that add up to topics about going outside and catching insects (the insect hobby can make you get a lot of excersize if you know what you're doing). so how many of you sit inside dismally (not depressively) and look at a snowy yard and sigh, thinking "oh I wish it were summer". how many of you wish you had done certain things (such as become interested in finding Lucanus capreolus or Acrosternum hilare when they were actually active outside and you would find a lot of them) that you can't do again for a full year? express yourself about the new season, let's hear about how long you have to wait!

In my area (which is in Alabama state), it is usually mild from April to may. It becomes really hot in June, July, and August which is the time for stag beetles and rhinoceros beetles population reach the peak. Than it becomes mild in september, and starts to become freezing in november.

P.S. I usually obtain ox beetles and elephant stag beetles among with reddish brown stag beetles around June and July. I've never seen any stags or rhinoes after July.

I see Lucanus capreolus from late June to early August at most