Hi from Belgium

Sam V

Hello I'm a Belgian beetle lover.

I'm planning to rear an Eudicella sp. when the weather allows it.

I just want to see how the Americans breed beetles.

Greetings

Sam

Hello Sam,

I think Americans breed beeltes just the same but with very little in the way of species choices. You can collect decayed leaves in the winter if you can acquire larvae now. I say go for Dicronorhina or Mecynorhina since they're a little easier, longer lived, bigger, and prettier with exception of gralli.

Hello Sam,

I think Americans breed beeltes just the same but with very little in the way of species choices. You can collect decayed leaves in the winter if you can acquire larvae now. I say go for Dicronorhina or Mecynorhina since they're a little easier, longer lived, bigger, and prettier with exception of gralli.

Thanks for the advice.

I think Dicronorhina and Mecynorhina are just a little harder because they need more space, live longer as larva, the males are more agressive and are more expensive.

And on a dutch forum, many breeders recommend Pachnoda, Chlorocala, Eudicella and Stephanorrhina as the ideal starter species.

I think that in the end when you've tried them all you'll have a different opinion. However, I made a mistake in suggesting Mecynorhina in general, I didn't mean to include ugandensis or oberthuri or what is now passerini, savagei, kraatzi, and harrisi.