Trogloderus

Garin

Has anyone here ever kept Trogloderus as a pet beetle? I caught some recently and they are new for me. They are very active, play dead like a Zopherus and are fun to watch. They are small but really cool looking. I was curious how they did in captivity compared to other tenebs like Asbolus, Eleodes, etc. Thank you for any input. 

trogs.jpg

I've been wanting to work with this genus all year, sadly could not find any where I live, (though I've collected them within an hour's drive of where I am, only two males though). Considering they're in the same tribe as Eleodes, I think they'd be fairly straightforward to breed so long as you have both sexes. Just be sure to give them a sandy substrate, they seem to mostly be found in fairly sandy areas and probably need it to oviposit.

The two males I caught both lived for a good while in my care BTW.

17 hours ago, Garin said:

Thanks Hisserdude for the information, much appreciated! I'm probably not going to breed them, just planning for now to keep them as pets. How long did they live?

Thanks!

Garin

No problem! :) I didn't keep great records back then, but I know they lived at least a year or so, they were WC obviously though, so they could have been old when I got them.